pond in progress

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's a pic of my pond in progress. I'm trying to make it look like a beach. It has sand all around and in the pond. There are goldfish and frogs in the pond. I don't know where the frogs came from but I put the goldfish in.

Attachments

• pond.gif
    pond.gif
    177.4 KB · Views: 355
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's the sand pile I'm working from. That contraption to the left in that first pic is supposed to be a grass hut. I tried to make it out of pvc pipes, chicken wire and palm fronds. But it blew down right after I finished. :(

Attachments

• sandpile.gif
    sandpile.gif
    140.8 KB · Views: 340
  • hut.gif
    hut.gif
    171.2 KB · Views: 337

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice looking good luck on your grass hut

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A fellow Floridian is always welcome to this Forum.
You can use sand in the pond if it is only a couple of inches deep (deeper may cause problems) and you don't mind if it doesn't stay white, cause it won't.
Is this builders sand or beach sand?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks guys! Peter, yes, it's coral rock. How did you know? I used coarse sand, Meyer. What kind of problems would sand more than 2" deep create in pond?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Depths greater than 2" may create anaerobic conditions which in turn may promote the formation of Sulfur Dioxide gas which is very toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms. This could especially be a problem if you have Koi, which love to root around the bottom of a pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think it's more than 2". But I was planning to put a hill or two in it. Even a little island. I am glad you told me.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Ha, I went from reef tank to ponding, I've got a couple pieces of coral around my pond also.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The guy that dug the pond couldn't make it 5' deep with his machine like I wanted because the coral rock was so dense. So he piled the coral rock around the edges to make it deeper but it didn't work because of the beach being level with the ground. But I'm kinda glad this happened because it makes the pond look like an island. So I named the pond Fish Stick Island after my cat Fish Stick, who likes to lounge on the beach and on top of the coral rim.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Reminds me of when I tried to dig a pond when I lived in Saint Petersburg after graduating from FSU... I dug about a 2 foot by 2 foot and 10 inch deep hole and then remembered there was an air conditioner in the house and that was the end of my FLA pond...

Ask a Question