Pond liner options!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
HDPE is a close runner up for epdm but HDRPE is neck and neck with epdm
Yes, but make sure you get the one with the "R" in it....HDRPE.
The "R" is first reinforced. It has a grid of lines that you can see.
I don't know exactly what it is, but it looks like reinforcement threads of some kind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have HDRPE from American Tilapia, but I think they're the only ones who call it that. Everything Ponds sells what they call an "RPE liner" which I think is the same thing as HDRPE, they just leave off the HD in the name. BTL sells it too with it's own name.

Tough stuff. Hard to form to contours, but tough stuff. Better puncture resistance than EPDM but no stretch at all like EPDM has that makes it lay nicely. Bonus to RPE/HDRPE: You can heat weld seams and patches with a heat gun vs having to tape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have HDRPE from American Tilapia, but I think they're the only ones who call it that. Everything Ponds sells what they call an "RPE liner" which I think is the same thing as HDRPE, they just leave off the HD in the name. BTL sells it too with it's own name.

Tough stuff. Hard to form to contours, but tough stuff. Better puncture resistance than EPDM but no stretch at all like EPDM has that makes it lay nicely. Bonus to RPE/HDRPE: You can heat weld seams and patches with a heat gun vs having to tape.
My bog HDRPE liner was also from American Talapia.
Yes, it's much stiffer. Your corners need to be folded nicely so the sit right.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine , 10 years ago, was call ppl36 from Bend tarp and liner. It is stiff, it is tough stuff. I have had sharp little deer hooves dig into it. Twice deer have fallen in and dug in to get out of the pond. Rocks have fallen, deer walk the stream every winter munching on plants. So far no leaks.

I drove my tractor over it when filling the bog with 38000 lbs of pea gravel. Bucket loads, no leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Thank you for your reply, I’ve since spoken with a few people including my brother, and all have had LDPE liners in their ponds for over 20 years with no problems. So will be sticking with what I have.

Ask a Question