Pond or Lake...

Shaggy

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United States
So when do you call a pond a pond and a lake a lake? Do you go off of square footage or just how it's designed?

I have always dreamed of building a lake/pond on my property. Mostly want one for looks and also for my kids to fish in. I have always wondered what you would consider a pond or a lake?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You'll likely never do a lake . Lake is off of depth and size. Though a pond can be as large as a lake it's rare.
I believe you maybe thinking in line of a farm pond type of body of water. These are generally a 1/4 acre or more. Evenly slopes down at the same pitch on all sides. Usually no more than 20 feet deep.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
cat pulls.gif
@Shaggy
Huh................you just joined and you are an admin? How'd that happen?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Around here you have ponds, (stock) tanks, and lakes. What you're wanting, around here, would be called a tank.

A pond is what folks have in their back yard they keep goldfish in.

A tank is something much bigger, up to several acres in size. Usually they're dug to irrigate out of, or water livestock. Some folks stock them up with fish so they can fish them too.

A lake is much, much bigger. Think anything that's bigger than a tank and smaller than the ocean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Technically speaking there is no difference between a pond and a lake (ie the govt regulates both the same and does not distinguish them). But there is a general rule that a pond is shallower and if sunlight can reach the bottom then it is a pond. Of course there can be exceptions. But you will not find a definition that a lake must be, for example, a minimum of 10 feet deep by 100 feet wide.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Shaggy now I see after reading @Ian 's post that you are our new leader. Hope we don't drive you too crazy as we can be a handful now and then. Thank you for your service :smuggrin:

Ask a Question