Leaf Problem Upstream of Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, first post on the forum.

We have a pond that is fed by a stream that has trees on both sides (see pics). The pond itself does not get much leaf fall, but the stream gets a lot of leaves, which work their way into the pond. We would like to install a product at or upstream of the pond entrance that would collect the leaves for us to remove before they reach the pond. Does anyone know of such a product, or should we just build our own with a frame and chicken wire?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The problem with aNY KIND OF SCREEN IS THE LEAVES AS THEY BACK UP START TO GET PUSHED UNDER OR THEY GET SATURATED. this results in the water level rising. This is what i do for my leaves look at the pond that's is relatively clear of leaves as your stream and then make the intake bay along the stream to catch the leaves

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The problem with aNY KIND OF SCREEN IS THE LEAVES AS THEY BACK UP START TO GET PUSHED UNDER OR THEY GET SATURATED. this results in the water level rising. This is what i do for my leaves look at the pond that's is relatively clear of leaves as your stream and then make the intake bay along the stream to catch the leaves
Do you scoop them out when they get all in that area then?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you scoop them out when they get all in that area then?
Yup, and i only have to vacuum that area that's no deeper than 3 feet. The 6 foot deep area / the main pond is a pain to vac or net.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yup, and i only have to vacuum that area that's no deeper than 3 feet. The 6 foot deep area / the main pond is a pain to vac or net.
Glad leaves are not a problem in my fish pond. They are in the critter pond but I just lay my flat net over I made, easy to put on and take off.
Photo taken shortly after building pond. I can't tell if I have the net attached to the frame yet in this photo. I think not as I don't have the crossbars up here. Guess I never took a photo of it all finished. I'm slacking,lol! :

IMG_9917.JPG

Ask a Question