Canna lily for my pond

AR1

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
i have a intex above ground pool with exotic fishes in it. i want to place a canna lily in the pond. they usually come in pots with soil. should i submerge the entire pot or remove the soil and just plant it in gravel. i was thinking to remove soil from its roots and plant in a pot with just gravel and place it in the pond. would that work?
i need advice. there are increased nitrites and nitrates in the pond so i want to lower them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
-welcometulip-1.gif
@AR1
Never tried one in my pond so I can't help ya.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
JUST LEAVE IT IN THE POT SIVNK THE BOTTOM INTO THE WATER THE SOILS WILL WICK THE WATER UP PLANT WILL DO FINE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have any filtration? What size is the pond and how many and what type fish do you have? How deep is the pond?

You shouldn't use potting soil for pond plants. It usually contains things like bark that float. You can use gravel, although I have done that with these plants and they didn't do very well. Didn't die, just didn't grow much. Plain kitty litter, the cheap kind with no additives, or soil made for pond plants would be a better choice.

AR1

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Do you have any filtration? What size is the pond and how many and what type fish do you have? How deep is the pond?

You shouldn't use potting soil for pond plants. It usually contains things like bark that float. You can use gravel, although I have done that with these plants and they didn't do very well. Didn't die, just didn't grow much. Plain kitty litter, the cheap kind with no additives, or soil made for pond plants would be a better choice.
DIY bucket filter with one pillow stuffing.it worked well for about a month. Thousand gallon pond with one pacu, one red tail catfish, two iredescent sharks, one snakehead and one raphael catfish. the pond is about 1.5 feet deep. it is now suffering from a algae bloom. Please tell me aput more plants, besides canna which i can place in the pond and will help keeping it clean.
BTW the soil in which they are sold is greyish clay soil so i don't think there is anything in it which will float.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How long has the pond been set up? If it is new, it's is probably going through the nitrogen cycle. Lots of information online about that.

Are you frequently cleaning the filter? Filters can't work well when they are dirty and clogged.

It may also be that you need more filtration. More plants can help filter the water if you live where it is warm enough for the plants to be actively growing now. They have to be growing to take up those excess nutrients. Or you can add more buckets or others filters.

The fact that you have an algae bloom means that the pond is producing ammonia. The algae needs that to feed on. If you have sufficient filtration, there won't be an excess of ammonia and the algae will die off.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sedge type plants are good for sucking excess nutrients up. Lots of other too numerous to mention. Do a search on plants for your pond.

AR1

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
the pond has been running for about 4 months. it has already passed through the nitrogen cycle. it already had its algae bloom. to be honest i was busy and so didn't clean the filter for about a month now. However i know the filtration might not be enough and i really don't wanna add more buckets since they are a pain in the ass to clean. i would go with the plants.
i will give you a short story of my pond
for the first month my pond became very green and very cloudy, partly due to the nitrogen cycle but also because it had no filter and rhe pond received a lot of sunlight.i entirely covered it and installed a diy filter. the water soon became crystal clear. but after a month my water test showed i had high nitrates and nitrites in the pond. Did a big water change, left the pond uncovered for a few days(mostly cloudy nowadays) but it turned out the clouds cleared and the pond received sunlight for a few days. The nitrates and nitrittes lowered only a bit despite the water change and now i have a green super cloudy pond. So i will add plants this weekend. they will provide shade and suck up the nitrates and nitrites.
BTW how many plants do you think i should add?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
the pond has been running for about 4 months. it has already passed through the nitrogen cycle. it already had its algae bloom. to be honest i was busy and so didn't clean the filter for about a month now. However i know the filtration might not be enough and i really don't wanna add more buckets since they are a pain in the ass to clean. i would go with the plants.
i will give you a short story of my pond
for the first month my pond became very green and very cloudy, partly due to the nitrogen cycle but also because it had no filter and rhe pond received a lot of sunlight.i entirely covered it and installed a diy filter. the water soon became crystal clear. but after a month my water test showed i had high nitrates and nitrites in the pond. Did a big water change, left the pond uncovered for a few days(mostly cloudy nowadays) but it turned out the clouds cleared and the pond received sunlight for a few days. The nitrates and nitrittes lowered only a bit despite the water change and now i have a green super cloudy pond. So i will add plants this weekend. they will provide shade and suck up the nitrates and nitrites.
BTW how many plants do you think i should add?
Every time you do a big water change your pond will have to re-adjust and start over again w/the cycle. Lots of plants maybe 50% or a bit more. Leave your water alone. A good filter will help or a bog is even better to rid algae or at least lower it down. Water lilies, parrots feather, hornwort, water lettuce, water hyacinth and plants that love water will help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DIY bucket filter with one pillow stuffing.it worked well for about a month. Thousand gallon pond with one pacu, one red tail catfish, two iredescent sharks, one snakehead and one raphael catfish. the pond is about 1.5 feet deep. it is now suffering from a algae bloom. Please tell me aput more plants, besides canna which i can place in the pond and will help keeping it clean.
BTW the soil in which they are sold is greyish clay soil so i don't think there is anything in it which will float.
SORRY TO SAY A 1000 GALLON FOR A PACU HALF GROWN TO FULL SIZE can be pushing it add a red tail who can also out grow your pond as well as the RAPHAEL if I'm not mistaken, your bio load is very high if they are not youngins. green water is a sign of over abundance of nutrients and under filtration . once your nitrogen cycle gets established the green water may disappear

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are lots of different options for filters. Do some research and decide what type is best for you. Sounds as though you need a lot more for those fish.

Ask a Question