Pond silt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, in the last couple of months my pond plants have been covered in silt. I cleaned them all at the weekend and they are covered again. I have an effective pump and filter (or I think I do).

Does anyone know why the build up and how to resolve?

Thanks, Derek

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't know but I'll throw a few ideas out there...
Any major construction in the area? Has the weather been unusually dry and windy? Any open fields close by? Maybe you just have a lot of sediment on the bottom that has built up over the years and your fish have been stirring things up? Or have you been stirring things up?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Derek! Is there anything living in your pond that might be doing some 'rearranging' and stirring up sediment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know but I'll throw a few ideas out there...
Any major construction in the area? Has the weather been unusually dry and windy? Any open fields close by? Maybe you just have a lot of sediment on the bottom that has built up over the years and your fish have been stirring things up? Or have you been stirring things up?
Thanks for your reply. None of the above I am afraid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for your response. No, I have added nothing to pond and yes it is the submerged plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sometimes when I have a lot of algae in the spring and it dies off it covers everything with a fine silt. Thats why I wondered - mine just dies off on it's own though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1587569762161.gif
@Derek Ward
I've had that dead stuff attach to everything in my pond at times and I take the garden hose and push the stuff off w/water and it helps to get it moving around so the filters can then pick it up. Otherwise I think it will disappear on it's own after awhile. Starting up my powerful volcano looking aerator will help also. Just anything to stir it up away from stuff will help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes when I have a lot of algae in the spring and it dies off it covers everything with a fine silt. Thats why I wondered - mine just dies off on it's own though.
Well, this is my first spring having extended my pond last year so hopefully all will die off too. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've had that dead stuff attach to everything in my pond at times and I take the garden hose and push the stuff off w/water and it helps to get it moving around so the filters can then pick it up

I do the same thing... In fact I was going to do it today, but BRRRRRR! Too cold out there! If the wind would stop blowing so dang hard, it would be bearable!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I do the same thing... In fact I was going to do it today, but BRRRRRR! Too cold out there! If the wind would stop blowing so dang hard, it would be bearable!
Darn weather! I was out there yesterday digging my bog and it began to hail. It was those funny tiny little balls. It was coming down like crazy, a complete white-out for about 15 minutes. Very intense.

Ask a Question