Pond water won't clear up

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
Just built a pond end of May.It is about 6'x4' about 16 inches deep with waterfall we run the pump 24 hours a day. I would say it gets at least 8 hours of sun. And the ponds circulating is good. I did get it to clear up before I got fish. But now I have 2 goldfish and 2 catfish. And water is green been using algaefix and ecofix. Also did water change. I do have three plants in a pot sitting a couple of inches in the water and two floating plants. I feed the fish twice a day it is the pellets that sink not a lot of food when I could see when the water was clear they would eat what I feed them. Can anyone help me what I should do ... thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just built a pond end of May.It is about 6'x4' about 16 inches deep with waterfall we run the pump 24 hours a day. I would say it gets at least 8 hours of sun. And the ponds circulating is good. I did get it to clear up before I got fish. But now I have 2 goldfish and 2 catfish. And water is green been using algaefix and ecofix. Also did water change. I do have three plants in a pot sitting a couple of inches in the water and two floating plants. I feed the fish twice a day it is the pellets that sink not a lot of food when I could see when the water was clear they would eat what I feed them. Can anyone help me what I should do ... thanks
Firstly Jade we need to ask you your water perameters i;e Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph, Kh this will give us a good idea as to why your pond isnt clearing

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not have a water test kit will have to go to our local pond place and get one. Is there one you recommend.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks will stop there tomorrow pick that up. Also going to pick up couple more plants guess more plants can't hurt.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sorry but you should have been advised to purchase a Nitrate test kit also as excess Nitrate (and Phosphorus to a certain degree) is what causes 'Green Water'.
Stop using algaecides. Your pond, though apparently cycled, is still young. Green water is part of 'New Pond Syndrome'. It should clear on its own in a week or two....maybe less.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry but you should have been advised to purchase a Nitrate test kit also as excess Nitrate (and Phosphorus to a certain degree) is what causes 'Green Water'.
Stop using algaecides. Your pond, though apparently cycled, is still young. Green water is part of 'New Pond Syndrome'. It should clear on its own in a week or two....maybe less.

This is the test kit I got API pond master test kit

these were my readings
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
ph 8.0-9.0
Phosphate 0

I did a small water change this Monday and put the alagecides in I will stop and let it go. are pond is only 200 gallons and the pump and filter is for a much bigger pond so we should not clear the filter just let that goes as well?

Reaction score
Hi,
Try a UV Clarifier, I had algae for years and was ready to pack it in, 40+ KOI, decided to try one last time and bought a UV Clarifier, Next day pond was crystal clear.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a uv clarifier installed on Saturday. Went from green today it is milky/cloudy color. But the green is gone. Will it get crystal clear in a couple of days or do I have to do something else.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You don't need to do anything else, other than get that nitrate kit. It doesn't come with the API kit.
Ponds take time for the water chemistry and bacteria levels to settle down. (weeks)
The more stuff you add to the water, the longer it takes.

Ask a Question