PROTECTING THINGS LIKE AIR HOSES IN WINTER COLD

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmmm.... Thank you to everyone for your input!

Yes, it's very unlikely that our pond will actually "freeze over." Though if it gets cold enough and stays that way for a few days, I can see where some ice could form around the edges. So ICE COVERING the pond isn't a worry for me (knock on wood). I think what I might do (just to be sure there is some air-water exchange) is float one of the air stones a little below the surface -- like you would do if you were trying to keep a hole in the ice. At that shallow of a depth, there shouldn't be a problem of mixing the water temps.

The aerator pump I have (Pondmaster) says it can be used during freezing weather, long as it's protected in some way (ie, plastic bucket, etc.). And guessing it wouldn't hurt to enclose the exposed tubing in an insulation wrap of some kind. Around here, I could see where condensation [freezng] in the tubings would be the biggest worry, since our humidity generally stays high, along with our roller-coaster temps.

Or, I could just.....not worry about it......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm planning on running my air pump this winter with the stones suspended 10-12 inches down. I also have a pond de icer, I will use as back up. Kim

Ask a Question