Pruning Lotus Leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
The stem of a leaf that I have pruned is nearly impossible to keep above the water surface level, as it is not lengthy enough. And now I fear that it runs the risk of allowing water in and rotting the tuber. Are there any tips and tricks for somehow rescuing the situation? Please and thank you!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can you raise the container out of the pond? Most of my lotus are in containers in my yard. Just keep a small amount of water over roots.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are there drainage holes in the pot? If not, just remove the pot from the pond. I had to pull the one I had just put in the pond due to flooding. There are drainage holes in the pot so going to set it in another larger container with water and leave till fall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What would happen if it was cut down to the tuber? Will it still rot?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I’ve always wondered that about lotus - they say don’t prune below water level but what happens in nature? Surely stems get broken off?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have storm damage to my large lotus, leaves blown over but the stems are still intact. The stems are tough. I would avoid cutting any stems, especially below water level. Your plant may survive but is it worth the risk of losing an expensive lotus?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are there drainage holes in the pot? If not, just remove the pot from the pond. I had to pull the one I had just put in the pond due to flooding. There are drainage holes in the pot so going to set it in another larger container with water and leave till fall.
There were drainage holes but I plugged them with cork and sealant before planting the lotus in the pot because I had read that drainage holes can damage the tuber. I just have the lotus planted in a clay pot that is sitting on a stand, no pond. When I had pruned it, I tried my best to keep it from sitting below the water level but sometimes, with the wind, they fall into the water overnight and soften up or are already too short to begin with

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess I'm unsure of why you are pruning it - I've always read that you just leave them alone.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I'm unsure of why you are pruning it - I've always read that you just leave them alone.
They’re browning and nearly dead so I thought it would be best to prune them so it doesn’t contaminate the water in any way. Someone also said that pruning those dying leaves would promote new growth and redirect energy to the other leaves.

For example, a few of these floating leaves are on their way to deteriorating in the water so once it gets to the point of rotting or tearing apart in the water, I figured it’s best to prune them. I could be wrong though, I don’t know.
6C36410D-9B44-42B7-9E42-789A3E5E3782.jpeg

Ask a Question