pump Brand

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
roscogruen said:
Dr. Dave,
have you looked at your power consumption? i called harbor freight. not sure if it is the same ones, but the beckett pumps use insane amounts of electricity and HF sells a HydroStar 3700gph that uses 900W but for only $63.

My 3200 GPH from Harbor Freight draws 270 watts.

Reaction score
I don't know what to suggest right now. I used to have an Aquascape PRO 4500. It is quite powerful. However, it consumes about 600w. After 5 years, it showed signs of problems. My pond contractor suggested a PondMaster HY-Driver Proline 5000. The model spec looks good, but after install I don't think it pumps as much water as it should. I feel it is more like 3000 GPH (don't know if others had the same experience). The power consumption is not bad (about 250w) and the price is not bad either ($230). I don't know Aquasurge 5000 from Aquascape will do a better job with the same power consumption, even though it costs more ($399). I don't need it right now. I will give it a try when the other pump comes to the end of its life. It has been running for over 4 years.

Reaction score
you guys are making me smile! Yes, it's not just about a good pump, it's about POWER CONSUMPTION, too!

The laguna is wonderful in terms of power consumption. Pondmaster mag pumps are way lower in consumption than the Hy-driver, but they may not be big enough for what you need. Please look at a Sequence 750...you'll find it is a reasonably priced. I think i got mine at AZ Ponds. Free shipping, too.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
My 3200 GPH from Harbor Freight draws 270 watts.

but the laguna that it impersonates uses 130 watts (granted it's 2900 gph, just 300 gph less). The larger laguna 4200 uses 160 watts. So, that's still way less than the Harbor Freight pump.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
but the laguna that it impersonates uses 130 watts (granted it's 2900 gph, just 300 gph less). The larger laguna 4200 uses 160 watts. So, that's still way less than the Harbor Freight pump.

When you have 5000 Koi to keep alive, you don't worry about a few watts one way or the other. I am more concerned about reliability.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
When you have 5000 Koi to keep alive, you don't worry about a few watts one way or the other. I am more concerned about reliability.

LOL! I can't disagree! But for us mere mortals with only a handful of fish (and who don't make a living from them) it does matter. My monthly bottom line in terms of energy consumption matters to me--not only from a personal monthly cost perspective, but also from a trying to do my part in being green.

:)

Reaction score
I want to sincerely thank everyone for sharing so much information. I've learned a whole lot about pumps!
i've decided to go with a Evolution ES 4500 ($225, 187W). it is an external pump.

the evolution ES will pull from skimmer and bottom of pond; pump water to 55gal barrel Skippy (not sure it will be upflow or downflow yet); and also pump to waterfall.

There were three other pumps that i was very close to deciding on but the girlfriend who i'm digging this pond for wants at least those things. I'm not sure if there is a right answer. i would like to have bought a submersible pump on one hand b/c i have no idea where i'm going to dig a hole for the pump & filter pit. i mean no idea. i might end up reclaiming some of the space in the pond and building a cinderblock wall. who knows. i'll be asking for advice when the rain stops.

i should be enjoying digging this pond and getting it going but i can't get my mind off my next "Honey-Do Project" - digging up concrete and dirt to repair a section of the main sewer line under house. :(

Reaction score
Evolutions are great pumps, and Steve who is selling it to you is a genius ponder who is a great resource. I had a toss up between the Evol and the Seq and the only reason I went with the seq was because lots of people were saying that the Evol's wattage consumtion was actually higher than rated by the company.

Steve says that he does see that the wattage use is higher than advertised on the smaller evols, but that starting at the 4200 and up he thinks they are more accurate. Unfortuantely, by the time I heard that response, I had already bought the seq.

I think you made a fine purchase.

I just finished digging my pit, and it's hard work for sure. But it's nice having everything in on place to maintain.

Reaction score
Thank you koikeeper. if you posted pictures i'll hopefully find them on one of your posts. do you also visit www.koiphen.com forum? this seems to be the Newbie forum in comparision but maybe i'm wrong. i've not really spent much time on that forum, yet.

i'd send a picture of the hole i have so far but the digging ceased last friday due to rainstorms which have yet to allow things to dry out enough to remove the liner i'm using as a cover.
Best Regards,
Curt
ps. yes, i also feel steve to be awesome. i will recommend him to anyone who asks the hundreds of questions i asked. seems he has things figured out and now selling them at a very reasonable price. always there to help, too!

Reaction score
This is some good information. I'm also doing my research on Pumps. Not heard of the Evolutions. Sitting on it a bit but, my top two picks at this point are the Seq and Artesian. Not heard any mention of the Artesian and wondering if anyone has had good experience or knowledge of them. Reading their specs they seem to be very efficient.

Reaction score
Airic,
you could write a "private message" to Koikeepr in this thread to ask about Seq pumps. Steve, at www.highdesertkoi.com, sells at least the Evolution and Artesian pumps. He might sell all three.
I spoke with at least companies selling pumps and Steve was by far the most informed and easiest to work with. you will be amazed how much he can help.

If you are looking at the Seq & Artesian pumps you are on the right track. check out steve's website. he has posted some great information on these pumps.

Reaction score
the artesian, sequence and evolution pumps are all of equal stature. They are basically all good pumps. And you can't go wrong with any of these as a choice. Steve swears by his Evolution pumps, and will tell you that Seq are good pumps too. He's a fair fellow and not one to put down something that's a good product in any case. He's a respectible dude with lots of experience in koi care.

Yes, airic, i also belong to the koiphen site...it is definitely hard-core koi folks on there. Very serious about their koi keeping and the construction. I find it to be a good balance to be on both the sites. My upper pond is a goldfish pond--so that's where this site helps me. My lower pond is a koi pond, and that's where koiphen helps.

Reaction score
I participate in several forums too, and yes, koiphen is the most technical by far. It's also much larger, and while that's sometimes good, there's something to be said for posting to a smaller forum like this one where posts are less likely to get buried. I think part of the reason why you see more newbie posts here is simply that many fist-time pond builders are intimidated by koiphen. It's not that the people over there are not very friendly and helpful, but there are a lot of them, and they are, as koikeeper put it, rather hardcore. I would suggest that new pond builders post to both, though. Here you'll get more hand holding, but there, you'll get a deluge of interesting ideas and links, and there is a better chance that people will spot problems with your design before you actually build it.

Reaction score
So the boss has issues with me spending so much money on a pump. I've been expanding my search a bit more and found this one.

Pentair Dynamo Two-Speed Above-Ground Pump, 5400 gph @ 15'
Maximum Flow: 5400 GPH @ 15'
Power: 1 Hp, 1265 / 334 Watts
Voltage: 115 Volts
Amps: 11.0 / 2.9

Anyone have experience or knowledge on this pump. Sort of like the idea of a two stage. Maybe run it 24x7 in low but durring times of the year when needed or for show kick it in high.

Reaction score
Try to see if you can find a comparable pump with under 300 watts...see what you can find before you decide...

I noticed that your decrip says you are building a 40,000 gal clay pond. Do you mean 4,000 gals? You don't plan on using a 5400 GPH pump on 40,000 gals of water, do you?

Ask a Question