Pump Depth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I have a pump in the bottom of the pond, which recirulates the water from there up and out through a barrel half. The main pump is about a foot higher than the bottom, so at least there will be some water left in the event of a leaky pipe, or stram, or waterfall. And a good thing too!
Just today I had to repair a leak in my bog, which cost me about 25% of the total water volume, or about 40% of the volume in the big pond where the fish, and main pump are. :0 lost that overnight.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have my external pump draw about a 1.5 feet off the bottom. So if I have a leak there will be water left in the pond. With it at that level it circulates the water of the pond nicely.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have hired mine now, I liked the idea of a kind of cage so used a water basket cut some bigger holes in it and weighed it down with a rock tied to the top of it. It's worked really well and sat on 2 bricks which were already there. Thanks for the tips, I am not sure where I would put a skimmer but will look into for sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
If a pond has fish swimming throughout does the fishes movement create enough water movement to offset the need for pumps or aerators? My question is for circulation only not filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have a thin rope tied to my pump which keeps it at the height that I want. I used to keep it on the bottom, but raised it in fear of losing too much water if I sprung a leak in the line that goes to the external filters. The rope also helps to pull the pump out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
that's a good idea. I have also repositined mine so it is the side where I get it out, no idea why I put it the opposite side in the first place! Probably didn't realise I needed to get it out once a week in the summer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
My pump is about a foot and half higher than the deepest point. In the event of a plumbing leak, and pump runs dry, fish will still have water to breath. I also have a pump on bottom, but that plumbing is contained inside the pond.

Ask a Question