Quality flex tubing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
2 years ago we built our pond, some of the plumbing uses flex kink free tubing (we bought Algreen Heavy Duty from Amazon). It's already shot. Most of the run is simply laying on the ground but protected by rockscaping, so it has been totally protected from UV. It is full of pinholes already.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with a brand that holds up? Having to redo these runs every 2 years is not going to be fun.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I suppose I should just switch to that. Is 1" in the kink free equivalent to 1" in the flex?

Just wish it was as flexible.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Are you sure the pin holes aren't coming from the rocks? I've used that product for years still as new, (other than the algae coating). The material is advertised as UV protected, should sustain long periods of exposure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah pretty dang sure. We've got a channel dug out, the hose sits in it, limestone slabs on top, but not resting on the hose.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Definitely switch to FlexPVC. That stuff is pretty much indestructible.
It's sometimes called Spaflex that you can buy at local hot tub supply stores.
You'll need different fittings though and I've only seen the smaller sizes in white.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
2 years ago we built our pond, some of the plumbing uses flex kink free tubing (we bought Algreen Heavy Duty from Amazon). It's already shot. Most of the run is simply laying on the ground but protected by rockscaping, so it has been totally protected from UV. It is full of pinholes already.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with a brand that holds up? Having to redo these runs every 2 years is not going to be fun.
Stick to pvc. Your pinholes are probably caused by termites. If there is deadwood or wood mulch around your pipes, they drink water that condenses on the outside as they consume wood and water. In the process of drinking they gnaw on the flex pipe until they break through. If you don't believe this, talk to the entomologists at North Carolina state. They documented the problem and have pictures.

Ask a Question