Question on feeding

Reaction score
Country
United States
I stopped feeding my fish when pond temps were consistently below 50 degrees. We are supposed to “warm up” a little for 4-5 days should I feed the fish or will they be ok? I doubt the water temp will rise above 50. Daytime highs will be in the 40s again after that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Once I've stopped feeding in the fall I don't feed again until Spring even if we have a brief warm up (which does happen off & on over the winter) My fish don't even 'ask' for food if the water temps are below 50.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Me too, no food till Spring arrives w/above 50f temps. Fish will nibble now and then on algae on the sides of the pond and other things, like plants and worms and bugs that fall in the water. Not many wandering bugs in winter tho. Fish do fine w/o feeding. Fish all down under not moving much. Metabolism slows way down. If you throw in food it could just rot and foul your water and if they do eat it it could cause gut issues for them due to non digestion.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
EVERY POND AND LOCATION DIFFER. if i walk up to the pond and the fish swim up to the usual feeding spot biting at the surface i'll give them a LITTLE on a warmer day after its been cold if they stay down i will not feed. the big issue in my eyes is have you shut your pond down if the pumps are off and there's no circulation then your better off not feeding

Ask a Question