Question on feeding koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 4 small 3-4 inch koi. I thought koi were aggressive eaters and would everything in sight. When I feed the koi they come up eat for about 2 minutes and then they are done. I know this is a dumb question BUT is that normal? and how many times a day do you feed your koi? I have been feeding early in the morning and then in the early evening. I guess I will throw in one more question I have been reading about different foods for different times of the year. When does one switch over from one type of food to next? Is is based on temperature as I live in the south and it doesn't get cold until late Dec or Jan. What are the different types of food for each "season"?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If they quit after 2 minutes, you may be over feeding. Scoop out any uneaten food. Rule of thumb is 5 minutes and then stop feeding.
There are 2 types of food, summer food which is high in protein and fall- spring food which is wheat germ based. I switch from summer food to fall food when water temps fall to 55 and quit feeding at 40 or when they show no interest. Reverse for spring. I feed once a day but have fed as much as 4 times a day to grow really large koi.
Just reread your previous thread regarding pond not cycling. You just added these koi?

Ask a Question