Questions...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im coming into my first winter with the pond and have a couple questions and would like to hear the experiences of others.
The pond is preformed and has 14 fish (coi and goldfish) as well as a population of frogs that fluctuates (8 was the most at one time). I have a pump running and plan to keep it running along with a small heater thru the winter. The pond is now covered with a frame and screening to keep the fall leaves out and when it looks like snow I will add a plywood roof to the cover.
The main question I have is regarding the pump (5 in one aquascape). Do I just need water moving or does it actually have to break the surface for aeration?
The pump is now pushing water a couple inches above the surface but I dont have any fountain attachment on it.
My thought is the moving water along with the small surface heater will keep it from freezing. Am I on the right track with this?

Attachments

• IMG_0494[1].JPG
    IMG_0494[1].JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1649[1].JPG
    IMG_1649[1].JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 21

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

What area are you in? How cold?

Reaction score
Country
United States
North of Syracuse NY. We do get some cold snaps here and I am really hoping to keep the fish happy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im coming into my first winter with the pond and have a couple questions and would like to hear the experiences of others.
The pond is preformed and has 14 fish (coi and goldfish) as well as a population of frogs that fluctuates (8 was the most at one time). I have a pump running and plan to keep it running along with a small heater thru the winter. The pond is now covered with a frame and screening to keep the fall leaves out and when it looks like snow I will add a plywood roof to the cover.
The main question I have is regarding the pump (5 in one aquascape). Do I just need water moving or does it actually have to break the surface for aeration?
The pump is now pushing water a couple inches above the surface but I dont have any fountain attachment on it.
My thought is the moving water along with the small surface heater will keep it from freezing. Am I on the right track with this?
I leave my pumps running 24/7 and believe the breaking of the water is essential for adequate aeration. Luckily my pond doesn't require additional heat and I was advised if by chance the pond did freeze over to immediately create a hole. I would definitely call my local nursery or a store that specializes in pond care.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! the pump is breaking the water nicely and I think that along with the heater and being watchful for icing we should be OK.
I love the pond and am thinking of adding a second in the spring. Hopefully this one winters well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm considering a 2nd pond as well but do I want the extra work is the major consideration

Have a wonderful day!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1666631885617.gif
@Fscott4
In the long run I see baby fish in your future and perhaps your pond may begin to be too small for too many fish. Hope you have plans like you say to make a bigger pond in the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We always cover our pond with a greenhouse structure in winter. It doesn't get as cold here as where you are, but just covering our pond prevents the water from freezing at all.

The pump runs year round so there is never a problem with starting it back up in spring.

A small frame would be easy to erect over your pond. Then cover it with 6ml plastic and a solar cover and it should be fine. Just make sure it will shed snow and that the frame is strong enough to hold up to the snow load.

Lots of info online for building a winter cover.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You're scaring me... 14 fish in a pond that small? And koi? Cold snaps? In Syracuse NY? My feeling is a volume of water that small could very likely freeze solid. And even if it doesn't, any water that turns to ice reduces the volume of water in your pond, which could spell doom for your fish.

Maybe I'm overly cautious - how deep is this pond? How many gallons?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your fish would probably be better off if you brought them inside for winter.

I didn't consider the depth of your small pond, but if it is as shallow as most preforms, it would not be suitable for over wintering your fish. Not in my opinion anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
What a pretty pond you have there Fscott4! Having moved here from Upstate NY I can say with certainty that your fish will not make it in that size pond over winter...I agree with WaterGardener...bring them in for winter if at all possible...As far as the amount of fish you have, my pond is approximately 900 gallons and I am at the limit for the amount of goldfish at about 20 and it is too small to have even one koi! If you do plan to enlarge the pond next year make sure you plan to dig it deep so that your fish can overwinter:)

Ask a Question