Mechanical filter questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Background info
We have a small 300 or so gallon liner pond with a rock waterfall running the length of the pond. The filter and pump are the kit type from Lowes, about the size of a shoe box. Filer media is 1 layer of black coarse plastic media, 1 layer of green foam, and a handfull of bioballs. I upgraded the pump to 600gph. Output from the pump is via 1/2" tubing up to the waterfall, where it splits into 4 discharge locations, each with a valve to balance the flow .

Situation
The water became way too green, and wouldnt clear up no matter how often the filters were cleaned. I built a DIY bucket filter with 3 layers of white koi polishing filters, rerouted the pump discharge to the bucket, and let it rip. After a week of rinsing the filters every other day, the water was clear down to the bottom. I removed the bucket and put everything back the way it was, other than adding 1 layer of white filter to the original set. Within a week, the water was no longer clear, despite frequent filter cleaning. Thinking that the added layer on the suction side was causing too much restriction, I pulled it, and went back to original design.

Questions
1. Am I correct in thinking the pump was being starved? Due to the multiple outlets in the falls, I cant tell if the pump output was changed.
2. Do I need to add a second pump to either the bucket or small bog type filter?

Attachments

• 20181119_165603 (1).jpg
    20181119_165603 (1).jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First question is how are you cleaning the foam and mats .
Are you using pond water to RINSE the mat and blocks .
Are you just getting the heavy build up off or are you making them look new again.
If your set up were mine I would on each side of your pond where you have the ornamental grass. I would make two small bogs make them a s deep like 24 inches and I guarantee no more green OR cloudy water . You can have the return from the bog dump out along the same area you do now it will take some effort but after that next to none at all

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use a hose to rinse the filters as clean as possible.

That is an older picture from just after completion. We have added 2 small baskets of plants inside the pond.

Attachments

• 123_1001.jpeg
    123_1001.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a hose to rinse the filters as clean as possible.

That is an older picture from just after completion. We have added 2 small baskets of plants inside the pond.
if your hose is city water your killing off all the bacteria in your filters with chlorine and you are on a endless cycle of never getting a stable environment. you want to take a bucket of pond water to rinse the foam off not make it look new

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You need to get to the root of the problem.

Do you have any fish in there?
If so, what type, how many and how big are they?

What type of plants are in the baskets? Some plants are better at reducing excess nutrients than others. Excess nutrients are the cause of green water. Excess nutrients are due to too much fish waste.
We always advocate for lots and lots of plants. They compete with algae for the nutrients in the water. That, along with adequate filtration should keep your water clear.

What exactly are these baskets? Do the roots of the plants have direct contact with the water or are they confined in a pot (or basket)?

You can add better or more filtration and that might help. If the added bucket you mentioned worked for you, why not keep that going?

The bog suggestion by @GBBUDD Was a good idea. Bogs work really well and with very little, if any, maintenance. No filter cleaning at all. So if your tired of cleaning filters, think about a simple bog filter. There are many ways to make one or even two if you lack the space on one side.
My pond is way overstocked due to the fish multiplying. I couldn't get rid of the green water until I changed over to a bog. My water is now clear with only the bog filter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I added the bucket filter back with a dedicated 480 gph pump this morning. Once I figure out what is going on, I plan to add at least 1 bog filter to it.

The existing plants were purchaced from Lowes, one is iris, the other unknown. Both are planted in plastic mesh baskets in pea gravel. The unknown plant, some sort of water lily, it has spread its roots way past the basket.

Fish load is 1 6" goldfish and a couple dozen minnows, black and red.

I have an API test kit scheduled to be delivered today, and will post results tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I added the bucket filter back with a dedicated 480 gph pump this morning. Once I figure out what is going on, I plan to add at least 1 bog filter to it.

The existing plants were purchaced from Lowes, one is iris, the other unknown. Both are planted in plastic mesh baskets in pea gravel. The unknown plant, some sort of water lily, it has spread its roots way past the basket.

Fish load is 1 6" goldfish and a couple dozen minnows, black and red.

I have an API test kit scheduled to be delivered today, and will post results tomorrow.
That all sounds good.

The plant roots should be able to draw nutrients from the water with ease since you're using the mesh baskets.

Lillies are nice, but are not the best for drawing nutrients out of the water.

I still think you should add more plants.
You can get Parrot's Feather and stick pieces of them between the rocks with their roots in the water. They will feed off the nutrients in the water and help make the shoreline look more natural. I also have them directly in my waterfall.

If they are not banned in your area, you can add some floating plants that don't require planting. Very easy, just throw them in and they will help ward off algae blooms. Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuce are a couple of them.

I'm in zone 6b, so the winters are cold.
I try to buy winter hardy plants so they come back every year. Every year they get bigger and bigger, well established. Again, it helps make the pond look more natural with all the growth.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yay Amazon delivered early!

Results are PH 8.4, ammonia between 0 and 0.25, nitrate and nitrites both 0.

So, what does that mean?

Ask a Question