New Teardrop shape pond build questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
I'm looking at building a raised pond that will be in a Teardrop shape in the corner of my garden. It will be 3.5m long, 2m wide at one end and about 0.9m at the narrow end. Finally it will be 3ft deep. Estimate of about 4500 litres.
The base is already made from concrete as the area used to be a garage floor.
I'm going to use concrete blocks for the inner wall, finishing the outer with sandstone to match the rest of the garden. I intend to keep a couple of koi but mainly stock it with a mixture of about 10-15 goldfish.
I was looking at the Oase 14000 set to filter the pond which will be sat on a 0.9m x 0.6m flag at the narrowest end of the pond in the corner.
1) Is it worth cutting a channel in the existing concrete to put in a bottom drain or is a pump fed filter sufficient?
2) Should I line the inner walls with render/fibreglass or will a pond liner be fine?
3) Is the Oase 14000 set sufficient for this size pond?
4) Is there any other advice you could offer?
Thank you.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1648937160304.gif
@SpeedyJD

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
inner wall, finishing the outer
INNER OUTTER >? you mean sandstone will be applied to the cinderblock>? install rebar into the floor in every other cinderblocks bay then pour those blocks solid and you'll never have a problem
The base is already made from concrete as the area used to be a garage floor.
YOUR LOOKING AT 8,000 POUNDS
I was looking at the Oase 14000 set to filter the pond look at bogs
1) Is it worth cutting a channel in the existing concrete to put in a bottom drain or is a pump fed filter sufficient?
NO IF YOU WANT A DRAIN THEN INSTALL THE PIPE inside the liner and hide it with rocks
liner is fine round the edges of the concrete before you install the liner
4) Is there any other advice you could offer? build a bod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I should have attached these before to give you all the idea. Build it up 1m high with a pond depth of 0.9m
IMG20220403065933.jpg
IMG20220403065945.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I WOULD NOT BRING THE POND AGAINST the house unless you remove siding and ice and water the wall up three feet.. in time this will become a problem.

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I like the idea but definitely not against the house and I would make the green part pond and the concrete triangle in back corner a bog person and the spillway would come back into pond just my thoughts at first glance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Who said anything about it being against the house? :)
It's in the corner of the garden, under the artificial lawn is concrete and I don't want a bog pond. I'm going to build an inner wall of concrete blocks, the back walls are obviously already supported, but the front will be double walled with sandstone for strength and looks. The filter will sit in the far corner at the narrow end.
I'm still after answers to my first questions?
Bottom drain?, Liner or rendered? Oase 14000 set.
Thank you.

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My OPINION liner and pump filter would work but I know nothing just have OPINION

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
House, structure, shed, outhouse, lue as you brits call it . You show us this outline going up against a WOOD structure BAD IDEA without preparations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This forum discussion is turning into a train wreck. Without sounding rude or offending anyone which I think is going to happen as people get easily offended, I will apologise now for my response but.
At no point have I mentioned that the pond is going to be built up against my house or a shed, fence or anything else for that matter. I did say it was going in the corner of my garden (and still is).
I also stated that I was going to build an inner wall of concrete blocks (not cinder blocks) so they don't need filling with concrete either and they will be build to a height of 1m (with a pond depth of 0.9m). The pond floor is already in place having been a garage concrete floor (that's why I'm building up and not digging down).
The photo is to show an outline of what the pond shape would be.
Please read the initial opening forum questions first before commenting.
My forum was to ask the question surrounding pond filteration and fish stock, together with whether I should channel in a bottom drain now or would a pump and filter suffice.
Also once the pond is built up to 1m high, with the concrete blocks inside, should I render the blocks or put a pond liner in?
Finally would the Oase 14000 filter set be sufficient for a pond this size (roughly 4500 litres) for a couple of Koi and 10-15 goldfish.
Thank you. (apology for the rant or upsetting anyone). And thank you to those that did read the forum before assuming and replying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The picture may be misleading. It appears the rocks that we think are outlining the pond go right up against a wooden structure.

I'm in the camp to use a bottom drain. I wouldn't have a pond without one. You can use a retro bottom drain if you don't want to dig through the concrete and those work well. The plumbing to it would be visible if it is not disguised somehow.

A liner is fine, but as GBBUD said, the blocks will need to be reinforced with rebar and filled with something, even soil.

You might want to put your proposal on koiphen.com. those folks are very helpful with pond construction ideas and many of them have ponds build with concrete blocks or poured concrete.

Hope this helps.

Ask a Question