Re blanket weed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m fighting an on going battle with blanket weed this summer .Emptied the pond completely ,twice so far .Jet washed everything and a month later it’s clogged again .Two uv lights and two filtration systems .Tried barely straw but the weeds now growing on that .
Any suggestions apart from the packet stuff that only works for a week .

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Usually caused by excessive nutrients and the by products of the nitrogen cycle such as nitrate. UV only kills what passes through the chamber like green water algae. In pond algae will not be affected. Do you have any plants to compete with the algae? You might consider a bog garden which would help greatly with nutrient reduction. Any pictures of your setup available? Volume of pond, number and size of fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Emptying and cleaning does one things- sends you right back to go.

You have a pond with too many nutrients: too many fish in too small of pond, too much feeding, too many organics decaying in the pond, too few plants. All algae is simply another plant form that Mother Nature sends when a pond is seriously out of balance. Fix the problem and the symptom will disappear.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What do you have for a filter how much do you feed your fish . We all love to watch them go wild for a bit of food as they come up at stare at you while picking up.

But put the food in ratio to body size. The feed your fish enough it takes them Five minutes to eat is insanely to much.

One pellet is like one hamburger can eat three in one sitting sure. Waist line won't be happy in time.

Pond will suffer as instead of waste for a dozen fish fed properly. That dozen eating like they are at a all you can eat everyday will over load the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two filters .One is a pump fed box with a gravity outfall .Three layers of sponge and media in the bottom the other is a pressurised system thats sealed obviously and runs the waterfall on pressured outfall .
Maybe I need to look at building a dedicated filter to suit the pond .9 large koi and a leather carp ,few over 15lb ,2 over 20 .
I only feed Handful a day and they clear it pronto .Used to have two grass carp but they got too big so moved them on .Didn’t seem to have the same problem with them about though so maybe they ate the stuff .
Doing my head in tbh .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
taking a stab that it's a raised pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are not alone. I've had a pond for about 6 years now and usually my Blanket Weed stuff would work. I've put it in twice and also still have blanet weed. Mine is south facing so always a battle. And I have oxygen plants. The only thing I can think of is to start buying blood worms instead of dry feed. Yet, I red you! It is annoying!

Ask a Question