Reconstructing/revamping shelves 17 year old pond + plants? (newbie)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you need to engrave it on one of your driftwood pieces and put it as a 'greeting' point for all those that come to visit your pond...some day.!!

;)
They’ll all say “Who’s this GB guy w the interesting proverb? What’s it mean?” You can probably make interesting stories from there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
5C430C19-CD59-40B5-83FC-059C57151BD0.jpeg
Considering the 18-24” mound with a slant down towards the bridge. Red line is one draw attempt so could be less incline. Blue line is water essentially snaking back, entrance into first ground pond still in air.

I’m getting close to being “done” for winter but feel there’s a few weeks to go.
I think 10-15 mins a night and I can get the iris mounds out and the area leveled.

I’m thinking of dumping a bunch of soil into this area then to start building the mound and hoping the dirt settles onto itself over winter to compact so I get less structural issues.

The backside retaining wall is open for debate now also lol.

Any pro/cons to any of the supports below? Unless you’re walking the path and taking the bridge, it’s unlikely to be seen, but it will likely be a straight/sharp incline to allow space for the boulders on top.
They would not go all the way to the top to allow for dirt,rocks, plants like 6” higher

The preformed concrete pavers/blocks seem easiest to stack and utilize, followed by the flat flagstone. The rounded look is ok but could be a Tetris nightmare for actual support imo.
Pavers probably cheapest option to fulfill.
(Aka I’m Leaning towards the concrete blocks - unsure size yet?)
6C0F4EDD-B159-484B-BB1F-C2F8412A4C1A.jpeg

6008BC33-9964-4FDF-A240-03E077DF927E.jpeg

5A2C03E5-6A4D-4631-AC81-2296B8245186.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
View attachment 143090Considering the 18-24” mound with a slant down towards the bridge. Red line is one draw attempt so could be less incline. Blue line is water essentially snaking back, entrance into first ground pond still in air.

I’m getting close to being “done” for winter but feel there’s a few weeks to go.
I think 10-15 mins a night and I can get the iris mounds out and the area leveled.

I’m thinking of dumping a bunch of soil into this area then to start building the mound and hoping the dirt settles onto itself over winter to compact so I get less structural issues.

The backside retaining wall is open for debate now also lol.

Any pro/cons to any of the supports below? Unless you’re walking the path and taking the bridge, it’s unlikely to be seen, but it will likely be a straight/sharp incline to allow space for the boulders on top.
They would not go all the way to the top to allow for dirt,rocks, plants like 6” higher

The preformed concrete pavers/blocks seem easiest to stack and utilize, followed by the flat flagstone. The rounded look is ok but could be a Tetris nightmare for actual support imo.
Pavers probably cheapest option to fulfill.
(Aka I’m Leaning towards the concrete blocks - unsure size yet?)
View attachment 143093
View attachment 143092
View attachment 143091
if this wall is going to be on the back, facing the fence, I'd put as little money into it as possible and it doesn't matter what it looks like; no one is going to see it. Use either ground contact treated 4x4,6x6, or go with the landscape blocks. The wood would be easier and if you 'line it' to keep the water away, it'll last a very long time.

If you're going to choose on 'looks', I'm partial to the stacked limestone, though the round boulders are nice too.

When you're designing this, and looking at your red/blue line pic, don't limit to just that area; spread this berm and leveling up of the ground further to each side to hide it easier, to naturalize it. Adding some half-buried large rocks would go a long way. Remember, I'm the one who thinks that view from inside looking out needs some visual height markers for the eye!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Had to be home to watch one of the kids but spent my time outside - ha!
Finished getting all the iris roots out and leveled it a bit. Scooped the mounds of excavated dirt from the main pond sitting in the drainage ditch and spread it here.

Mound only about 9” from grade, and no retain walls yet. Need to get a truck to pick a yard or a bunch of soil bags.
We just had 10 yards to level the front lawn and wife was NOT happy about the dirt sitting in the middle of driveway so bags are “easier” :LOL:
91824C7D-4F24-4E96-BAF9-1724E88313C0.jpeg

D02DA2C2-CDA9-4536-9A64-1CAE21D3B2D9.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks good. As you build your waterfall, remember to add some boulders outside of the liner as well to naturalize the whole area. You can dig them 1/3 - 1/2 into the berm to really make them look good.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like the look of the stacked stone.
I built a retaining wall out of block because I wanted secure footing when walking on top of it. Then I hide it with flowers! In hind sight, I would not have built as large of a mound and probably wouldn't have needed any retaining wall.

2021-7-19 back of pond (1).JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the look of the stacked stone.
I built a retaining wall out of block because I wanted secure footing when walking on top of it. Then I hide it with flowers! In hind sight, I would not have built as large of a mound and probably wouldn't have needed any retaining wall.

View attachment 143158
Either way it’s safe and stable so worth it for that portion!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Winter is creeping and so is my time. 15 here. 15 there. Had to lighten the pictures considerable as it’s mainly post work/weening daylight here.

Wall shaping and finally have the bottom level - all level front and side/side. Next is carving another 9” out of the heap, crossing fingers it doesn’t collapse into a dirty mess before I can get the drainage pipe, fabric, and gravel in.

Ran out of gravel with fines at the very end (far) to level. Didn’t want to drive the 45 min round trip to quarry. Had done some research and called them to confirm. Dried out clay + gravel suffices just fine for a stable paver base in this type of application. We of course have “dirt” but also huge pockets of clay you could use as play dough if you wanted. I pondered if dried clay with clean crushed would provide any support vs the crushed concrete with fines. Not much out there but a few people suggesting it was fine. Quarry said as long as it’s initially dried out and mixed w crushed, can use as long as not a large sq area being supported (total weight mattered)

181E2CEE-E602-44F1-9D47-A8E84501105B.jpeg
49375476-C89C-4AA6-AEBB-3764F1C9E1E6.jpeg
7814B369-7D59-4675-8E74-6F831A15CB7A.jpeg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Went to the quarry today to look at rocks. Appears I’ll be limited to ~18” stones. Atlas stoning 24” wasn’t really going to happen more than once so scrapping that. May call and ask them delivery price and maybe do some pvc rolling to the back.

Marked off some 12, 24, 36” markings and one 18/24”. Based on diameter and visualizing, think I’m not going higher than 2 feet and still makes me ponder. There is a slight mound of dirt on back side the 18/24 is in I need to flatten or account for height.
View attachment 143061

Also spent a good while using the HACKSAW on all the iris mounds. That stuff was indestructible to shovel, trowel, putty knife, and edger. Still had to take it out in small chunks. Read about rhizomes tonight and realize I need to go waaaaaaaay lower if I want to kill them off.

They were also really unmaintained, the soil/roots overcame the liner. The blue line is where I found the liner, about 2-3” down, under the iris mounds growing In.
View attachment 143062
A bread knife works really well! Ask me how I know!

Reaction score
Country
United States
A bread knife works really well! Ask me how I know!
I think others get mad and give up cutting it up also. At the compost center there are these 1-2’ diameter mounds of iris like some just gave up and dug the entire mound plus 6-12” of soil with it. Lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm sure to many do know where it came from.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
GB's our rabbit hole of mystery, don'tcha know!!
Trust me i could bring you down the rabbit hole and you would NEVER see things the same again . The red or blue pill take your pick

Ask a Question