Redesign of bog/wetland filter

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have never had mine survive in the bog over winter so I've been bringing mine in.
Got ya, I was thinking they probably wouldn’t make it Over the winter, its to open where the bog is. The spot they are planted in the yard is a little more protected, so I can always grab some more from those spots next spring To replant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 134537
Bog is doing well canna and taros have taken over, be interested to see if any of the taros or cannas make it over the winter in the bog as a few were transplanted from the yard....

View attachment 134538
Had left over rocks from a job so......looks like at some point will be expanding the pond, now that I have about 10 tons of rock in my yard. Not that it needs it, but ehhh I like building things, and why not I guess...Definitely bringing some type of excavator home to do it, (most likely rent one since all the ones I own are way too big). The only mini ex we have is old and doesn’t like to work too hard...
i'd never make any money at your job i'd have a load dropped and be like ohhhhhh that's a nice rock that one is going home and oh yeah there's another and another.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
i'd never make any money at your job i'd have a load dropped and be like ohhhhhh that's a nice rock that one is going home and oh yeah there's another and another.
Haha, I hear ya, I am starting to do that with some rock now. Thinking that exact thing....that looks like a nice rock let me stick it off to the side, ohh here’s another one, that one can come home with me. When I get about 20-30 will bring the flatbed truck to the yard and load them up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@ IPA

Sorry for the late response i have a two main drains at the bottom of the pond and i had a skimmer that just had a blue filter pad which was rarely used. that goes to the strainer basket on the external pump. The water was then pumped up to a 24" culvert pipe at the bottom of my bog which is more commonly known as a centipede. where the water is allowed to disperse and flow is stopped . the supply line actually points at the wall closest to the supply line so there is no circulation on displacement so all sediments will drop out of the water column it then pases through about a foot of 2" rock a layer of aqua blocks and a foot of 3/8" and 3/4" rock and plant roots

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When we were building our pondless and then the big pond, I developed a SERIOUS rock addiction... like I would find myself looking at rocks ONLINE. What the heck! It took me a year or so to stop braking every time I saw a pile of rocks in some farm field or construction site. I was cured... then we needed some rock for a front yard project this summer and I learned - YOU'RE NEVER CURED! I got the same rush from being in that rock yard as I had 8 years ago - oh they are SOOOOOO beautiful!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
When we were building our pondless and then the big pond, I developed a SERIOUS rock addiction... like I would find myself looking at rocks ONLINE. What the heck! It took me a year or so to stop braking every time I saw a pile of rocks in some farm field or construction site. I was cured... then we needed some rock for a front yard project this summer and I learned - YOU'RE NEVER CURED! I got the same rush from being in that rock yard as I had 8 years ago - oh they are SOOOOOO beautiful!
ahhh, I am going to the rockyard next weekend, with NO budget ;)

well, really whatever the parents are willing to spend, so probably no basalt columns, but ynow it will still be fun (y)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ahhh, I am going to the rockyard next weekend, with NO budget ;)

well, really whatever the parents are willing to spend, so probably no basalt columns, but ynow it will still be fun (y)
Have fun, getting rocks is so thrilling! I gathered truck loads out in the desert when I built my AZ pond. Here we got some from PA, rocks around us are mush

Ask a Question