Redesign of bog/wetland filter

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Added a pea gravel planter on the side of the bridge for the lotus. Will have to see how it does....had to go wading in the lily forest to find the lotus tubers, which where just starting to put up there first pads. If it takes that area over I will probably pull All of the rest of tubers out of the lilies eventually. Of course, will have to constantly be weeding back the water celery stand that is right next to it.

Then have arrow arum, iris and pickerel rush popping up between the rocks on the pond edge all over the place, along with stands of grass I never pulled out.

C9AEAE83-DC65-4190-A35C-9E866B8B7537.jpeg
7575188A-3C4C-4A7B-A60C-03D4C00C2D5F.jpeg
8B1A1845-C81F-4846-9A3C-4DBFF1BC2815.jpeg
476FA799-50AE-49BD-8829-21C692C7ECEF.jpeg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jhn how many gph do you push on your system
Around 10000gph or so when pumps are clean, plus An aerator running under the bridge. Have 2 skimmers one at the far end Opposite the waterfall by the lilies That feeds the waterfall filter That is a 10000gph pump. Then skimmer in the middle of the pond that feeds the bog and has a 3000gph pump in it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
we are similar i have 12000 and a 3000 for the new cistern oh and the 60 air pump in the bog

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yep, also now would have done my pond more similar to yours in filtration set up and not used skimmers, using the intake bay or negative edge. 11 years ago though all these ideas weren’t as wide spread. The skimmers are fine but they can be a little to effective at times, causing the need to go clean them more than I would like.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do
Added a pea gravel planter on the side of the bridge for the lotus. Will have to see how it does....had to go wading in the lily forest to find the lotus tubers, which where just starting to put up there first pads. If it takes that area over I will probably pull All of the rest of tubers out of the lilies eventually. Of course, will have to constantly be weeding back the water celery stand that is right next to it.

Then have arrow arum, iris and pickerel rush popping up between the rocks on the pond edge all over the place, along with stands of grass I never pulled out.

View attachment 129260
View attachment 129261
View attachment 129262
View attachment 129263

Does the type of stone mater in the bog filter? I know you need to start with larger rocks, medium, then end up with peagravel, but does the type matter? I've mostly seen river rock, but you used something different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Do

Does the type of stone mater in the bog filter? I know you need to start with larger rocks, medium, then end up with peagravel, but does the type matter? I've mostly seen river rock, but you used something different.
Some people use different sizes as you stated, but many of us just use one size pea gravel or river stone. I was only able to get what was called river stone. It's mainly round smooth stones. I have about 12 ", maybe a slight bit more of river stone covering my manifold pipes. For my bog I used 3 cubic yards of river stone. Three trips with my pickup truck.
The main thing is you don't want any pointy stone that will puncture your liner.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do

It depends on how you are building your bog. If you do the bog like @poconojoe then you want all 3/8-3/4” pea gravel or round gravel.

How I did it using aqua blocks there is another layer of 8oz underlay over the liner to protect from the edges of the aqua blocks and the first layer of stone I-used. It was just 8-16” granite, used it because ease of access ......I use it by the dump truck load for my job. Even though it has points and such it is sitting on the aqua blocks and between that and the underlay I am not really worried about punctures. Doesn’t really matter what you use just want the graduated sizes in this type of bog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It depends on how you are building your bog. If you do the bog like @poconojoe then you want all 3/8-3/4” pea gravel or round gravel.

How I did it using aqua blocks there is another layer of 8oz underlay over the liner to protect from the edges of the aqua blocks and the first layer of stone I-used. It was just 8-16” granite, used it because ease of access ......I use it by the dump truck load for my job. Even though it has points and such it is sitting on the aqua blocks and between that and the underlay I am not really worried about punctures. Doesn’t really matter what you use just want the graduated sizes in this type of bog.

What made you choose this aquablocks style bog over the 12" or so of pea gravel and PVC like @poconojoe has? I'm converting a swimming pool into a pond. I have my bog shaped and already have the depth needed for the graduating sizes of stone, but now that I have found the 12" of pea gravel method, I am second guessing my design.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I had a smaller 12-18” deep pea gravel bog initially, and while it did the job somewhat ( it was undersized for my pond) my pond although large (10,000gallons)has alooot of fish (koi, orfes catfish )in it as well as turtles. So, I decided to upgrade the bog with the aquascape method and had the room to make the bog much larger. Nothing wrong with the pea gravel and pipe method, it works too. Mine worked for 10 years and still would, but I like to tinker with stuff.

To me the biggest difference between the two methods is the aquascape method lets me clean the silty gunk out of the bottom of the bog via a pump dropped down in the snorkel and prevents channeling of the incoming water as it flows up. Just a more efficient way to remove what can contribute to degrading water quality, as opposed to the pea gravel method. Mind you after 10 years my pea gravel bog never clogged or anything but the plants would divert water over the edges.....my fault for not making the sides of the bog tall enough.

I would not do the aquascape wetland filter method without aqua blocks though, as the idea is as the water comes in it slows down and the fine sediment settles out and works its way to the lowest point, Having a bunch of large rock in there on the bottom might prevent the sediment from working its way to that lowest point.

As for depth of a pea gravel bog @addy1 has a bog that is at least a few feet deep and roughly 10 years old or more and has had no issues with it being that deep. So if you want to go that way I wouldn’t bother filling the hole back in some, I would just lay the pipe and bury it in gravel.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As for depth of a pea gravel bog @addy1 has a bog that is at least a few feet deep and roughly 10 years old or more and has had no issues with it being that deep. So if you want to go that way I wouldn’t bother filling the hole back in some, I would just lay the pipe and bury it in gravel.
Mine is 2.5 feet deep if not a bit more. I have two 2 inch pvc pipes running under the pea gravel, it is just pea gravel, 38000lbs. Someone, me, kept digging and next thing I knew it was deep and around 26 feet long, 4.5 feet wide.

I have done nothing to it since I turned it on except to remove excess plant growth. The pond and bog were built in 2010

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think whichever route you choose, there's not much that can go wrong. The parameters of building these things is not as exact as you might read on the internet.
Many here have gone deeper, used ingenious self made contraptions and still have well functioning bogs resulting in clear water.
Size might be an important factor. If the bog is too small of a ratio compared to your pond or fish load, it might be a problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am a firm believer in over filtering. I just don't think there's too much within reason. I built both types of bogs the pea stone and the aquabloxs. Not because I couldn't make up my mind but it was due to if I ever had a problem with my aquablox bog. as two sides are 6 feet tall made from mafia blocks 4,000 pound blocks of concrete. that was one reason others reasons were i just didn't know what to expect designing and building my own aquascape bog using like materials and ideas. so if one failed I had a backup bog up and running. My water is crystal clear even when the fish start breading you can still see across the pond 30' accross

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The biggest cautions I can relay to you is .

1. buy the cleanest washed stone you can find . and even then wash it as best as you can . The idea of the bogs is for the plants in the bog to only get there nutritional needs to grow from the nutrients in the water. The fish waste in the water column is what you want the plants growing from and not soils mixed in your stone.

2. Building your sides of the bog tall enough. to be capable of handling the plant growth. as it fills and lifts thwe stone within the bog and blocks the water flow both under and over the stone.

3. Plan plan plan out how your bog will dump into the pond. Will splashing cause water loss. are the sides out far enough.

4. If your bog is higher then the pond and the piping goes to the bottom of the bog what will you do to break the siphone of that pipe if the power goes out can the pond capture and hold the water that gets back siphoned to the pond. check valve ? drilled hole in the pipe? will a washer machine vent work ?

5. even round smooth river rock can get very sharp they often split in half and can have a edge like a razor. i like using 8oz non woven underlayment to protect my epdm liner. if I have lots of rocks i the native soils i might even place a protective sheet. lIke azek

Last edited:

Ask a Question