Repotting hardy lilies

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Thanks, KennethO! That's what the pond place suggested, too. And I can tell that the ones I bought are planted with the tuber off to one side.

Here are the plant stands. I was told they wouldn't rust. Maybe I can spray them with a waterproof sealer. Or just use milk crates. But won't the fish get caught in the milk crate holes?

Attachments

• plant stands.jpg
    plant stands.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 273

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't know if whatever they coated them w/ will come off in the water or not. Maybe somebody else can help you w/ that one.

Reaction score
I would use crates if you have them. And the fish will swim in and out of them. Just make sure there isn't any burrs on them that will hurt the liner or fish. People love to slide them on the concrete.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i actually start my lillies elevated when the pads hit surface. i lower them.. when the pads hit surface again i raise them up a bit...the longer stems give a bigger spread to the pads on the water surface. i also plant in peagrevel and river rock..no soil, clay, or any organic or fine planting medium... why have to fertilize, and chance leeching nutrients? when the bare roots are exposed to, and can feed directly from your ponds water? not only does this enable your lillies to feed without supplimenal fertilizer, it helps control alge in the pond as well, by using the nutrients that would have other wise fed the algeas including filamentous (blanket, string), and single cell (green water)
IMHO...any plant that can be bare rooted, should be. plants will feed on both nitrates and ammonias as well ...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have enough fish poo to keep them healthy, no algae growth even with putting tabs into the lilies. I think it depends on how stocked your pond is, mine is still in the new range, the plants need a little food help.

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
I have to agree with koiguy 1969 on planting hardy lilies. I too had to split and repot my lillies last year. I did what most everyone here has suggested but instead I bought 21/2 gal STAINLESS STEEL buckets from a web site. Stainless steel will never rust so they will last forever, they have a flat bottom so they will not tip over and the most important part that no one thinks about when you have to prune and fertilize----- THEY HAVE HANDLES!! I simply reach out with my garden hoe hook on to the handle lift them out of the pond. do what I need to do and set them back in place. Had I been a member of the forum at the time I would have heeded koiguy's advice but I would still have tried to find some sort of STAINLESS mesh basket to place them in

pinon ponder

Reaction score
jethro13 said:
I have to agree with koiguy 1969 on planting hardy lilies. I too had to split and repot my lillies last year. I did what most everyone here has suggested but instead I bought 21/2 gal STAINLESS STEEL buckets from a web site. Stainless steel will never rust so they will last forever, they have a flat bottom so they will not tip over and the most important part that no one thinks about when you have to prune and fertilize----- THEY HAVE HANDLES!! I simply reach out with my garden hoe hook on to the handle lift them out of the pond. do what I need to do and set them back in place. Had I been a member of the forum at the time I would have heeded koiguy's advice but I would still have tried to find some sort of STAINLESS mesh basket to place them in

Brilliant! I was sitting next to the pond earlier this evening and trying to think of a container with a handle that I could lift out because I don't want to be getting in and out of the pond to mess with plants. Thank You! I'll look for something similar. Maybe a restaurant supply shop would have something.

Reaction score
I used Addy and JW's method with great success. I put some osmocote in the bottom before the kitty litter and topped it with lava rocks to keep the koi at bay. Lots of pads and blooms!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't mind wading in to groom mine, it is nice and cool and the fish tickle. I have a grabber that i can grab the oil pans with if the water gets to cold to wade in, and pull them out.
But also the liner I used the ppl36 is non slippery, if I had the epdm in the pond, would never wade in it, that stuff is slippery.

pinon ponder

Reaction score
Yeah, I fell on my a$$ in the old pond and so has DH. :lol: He gets in it most of the time and I direct from the outside. He wants to get a pond vac to keep the bottom cleaner. We'll see. This new pond is already costing a bit more than expected. I'm looking forward to dividing my own lilies for more. They are so pricey at the nurseries. Good thing I have lots of other plants for outside the pond that I can nab from my gardens.

Thanks for all the tips on repotting the lilies!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No kidding lilies cost a bit, so far mine have all been given to me except 3 small pond ones. When I divide them, will have a bunch of extra tubers,pond is only so big!, might just post on here pay shipping you have a tuber lol

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lily's really don't have to cost that much, buying from nurseries they will be, but if you watch online and watch craigslist and other areas where ponders are trying to thin out, even some fairly rare ones can be obtained for a lot cheaper than the nurseries. I know this year I sent out at least 6 lily's to different members here. I've also picked up six new variaties along with 5 other new types of marginal plants and all cost me either postage or a start of a plant that someone else didn't have. Patience and searching is all that is required. I've already ask for two new plants for next spring that I have been promised. I find that trading can get you a loy more for your money and if you find local grown you can usually pick up on some free growing tips as well.

Ask a Question