Repotting hardy lilies

Reaction score
Also worth looking at local pond clubs. Most have plant swaps or will even donate to fellow members.

Its also nice finding some locally since you know they do well in your area.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I got my first lilly from a friend and want to repot it in one of those Wally Mart oil pans. Can you describe what it looks like and mybe the size and price? The one i bought for changing my oil has a large green screw on lid and is about 12 inches in diameter, it costs around 6 bucks. What you guys are describing seems to me much cheaper, without a screw on lip, but rather a top that is fully opened?
David.

Reaction score
Here ya go...

Attachments

• Litter n pan.JPG
    Litter n pan.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 295

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Acadamy sports has them for $1.99, Walmart and Dollar General sell them for $2.99, Most of the auto places sell them for about $2.99-$5. It's just the cheap oil pan with not top, spout or anything. I've also used 5 gallon buckets and cut off the bottim 6-8" of the bucket and used them and they work just as good. the bigger around that you can get the better for hardies, and you really want about 4" or more of media for the roots to grow in.
Note: When planting hardy lily's make sure and plant the root side as close to the edge of the pot as possible so that the growing tip has room to grow out into the pot. Most hardies grow from a rhyzome similar to a Iris and will continue to get larger, Tropicals grow from a tuber or bulb and get bigger around but will stay more in the center of the pot..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I feel into the pan to find the dead bloom to trim, you can feel one mess of roots and rhizome, they have taken up quite a bit of the pan.

Reaction score
Wow, thats big and shallow, fill half with kitty litter, then pea gravel then rocks? I would guess you would'nt be moving that once its in the pond? Thats probably the idea, right? Must weight quite a bit with the litter, gravel and stones in it.

So when it's time to winterize the pond and plants, I just trim off the leaves as low as I can get?

Thanks again,

David

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm just going to use kitty litter and no rocks or sand in mine when I do it next Spring but I just have goldfish and they don't rearrange the furnishings too much like koi do. You are supposed to cut off the dead blooms and pads as you go all summer and then in fall leave the little tiny growing pads for next Spring cuz they need those to grow next yrs pads.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, thats big and shallow, fill half with kitty litter, then pea gravel then rocks? I would guess you would'nt be moving that once its in the pond? Thats probably the idea, right? Must weight quite a bit with the litter, gravel and stones in it.

So when it's time to winterize the pond and plants, I just trim off the leaves as low as I can get?

Thanks again,

David

Mine just has clay in it, easy to move, I can push it with my toe, even the few I added some gravel thinking the fish would dig are real easy to move. I use the oil pans.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Ok, got the litter and pans. But I just took two of the lilies out of their gallon pots and the root systems are huge and all the way to the bottom. Should I rinse off the soil they were potted in and spread out the roots to the sides? For now they are soaking in a deep tub but want to get them into the pond. I see lots of buds forming. : )

Reaction score
It's not necessary to wash the dirt off. But loosen the roots up a bit and if they are spiraling then untangle them some.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Thanks, KennethO! I had to rinse off some of the soil just to loosen the roots. And I found the starts of several new plants in those roots. Very healthy roots, too, so I'm feeling better about the price I paid. I've been reading up on potting the new guys and will hopefully grow them out in a small stock tank pond I have in my potager. I can see this becoming a new addiction. :)

Ask a Question