Riccia fluitans (aka crystalwort)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with floating crystalwort in ponds?

From most of my googling so far, people predominantly use this plant submerged in fish tanks, attached to nets or rocks. When used this way, the plant requires injected CO2 to thrive.

I bought a culture online and I am trying to grow the plant floating in a bowl before unleashing it on the pond, if ever. For now the thing is growing really slow (it barely doubled in size 3 weeks later). The plant does look healthy and there are oxygen bubbles at the tips.

Just wondering

- how could I make this grow faster without breaking the bank (i.d. CO2 tanks, etc.), can I split it in half and grow the remaining halves on their own?
- has anyone tried this plant on a pond - should it be tied to some floating net, will the fish try to eat it, etc?

My fish are fairly small on purpose (3" - 4" long) and I don't feed them - they eat algae and whatever they find. I have no pump and big fish would require filtration.

Thanks!
CG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1588792709887.gif
@DerSchoeneBahnhof
Me neither, don't know anything about the stuff.

Reaction score
Not in ponds but floating in my fish tank. Float it in your pond and it should be fine. Keep it away from waterfalls or fountains which will break up the mats that form.

Ask a Question