sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I collect all the rain water from my roof and the tanks were put underground when I built the house and murphy contruction got me a great price on the tanks and there are 2 of them and cost total here was 600 dollars but that included on the drain lines off the gutters into the tanks and the pumps and electricity as they also did my septic system and graded my property too .A stream would add to evaporation but would help greatly to aerate the water and help clean it too .You have tanks so you can use some of that info also .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
forgot to say good luck and glad i could help no matter how little help I could give you .Just have fun with it and make it wonderful .Dreams always come true :razz:

Reaction score
Thanks for all your good wishes Sissy but this should be a farewell conversation. :D Because i have got a lot to ask still :) .

I want to make an estimation with you.

I will try to make calculations with American units:

Lets say that the surface of my lake will be 15,000 square feet and with 5 ft average depth. Which means 660, 000 gallons of water. The biggest polyester water tanks have capacity of 2500 galloon water. Having 2 of these will mean 5000 gallons and this is like 1/125 of the water in my lake. I guess that's a very little amount. I guess i will need at least 10 tanks to have a useful backup.

Tomorrow i will call some well digging companies and ask them about water capacities in my city.

I seriously need a method or website to calculate how much evaporation my lake will get.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
most pond sights give calculators for water and size of pond but filters are not s easy because there are so many kinds of filter media .Right now I have 2 pumps in my pond and one is 1250 gph and the other is 2900 gph the size of pond you are thinking of is really beyond me .But fishin on here has 2 large ponds and one is natural no filter and the other is for koi .I know here none of the farm ponds have filters and my pond is small at only 10 x 25 and 4 feet deep .I have two lava rock filters and keep plants in them Addy also has a huge pond but uses a bog and so does country for a more natural pond .The water runs through the bog that has plants and pea gravel and that cleans the water and then runs back into the pond and may be what you would want to look into .It would be easier to have a bog and can look up builds of them on here.Also you tube shows how to build a bog filter .It would be better than all those filter tanks and more natural looking .

Reaction score
Sissy, thank you, thank you...

I am checking that bog system now to have some idea about it but it seems that i have a lot more steps before it. :)

I have found a great information. I found statistical data about evaporation in my city. I made some real complicated calculations and i came up with that info : For the whole summer , i will need to add about 300,000 galons of water to my lake yearly. What do you think? Is this a huge amount for a well?

If i decide to use this amount from city water, it will cost me about 3000 thousand dollars. So, even if my well is not completely enough for my need. I can use some of city water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats a lot of water from a well and I could not fathom any well or pump being able to supply that much water and my well is over 400 ft in the ground and pump burned out on me after only 8 years and is a 1 hp that puts out 20 gpm (gallons per minute )and no well pump or water tank could ever supply that much water from the earth .Are you sure it is that much

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
You have to remember that a healthy natural Lake has a lot going for it.
It is constantly supplied with fresh water from a river or the winter snow or rain. And it is draining off and evaporating. and with that a lot of water movement.
In tern makes for a healthy environment.
So you will need pumps and water falls of some kind and lots of plants or it will turn in to a sespool

Maybe you could install a lot of bottom drains and do a gravity fed system as a expense this might be a way to go.

For what you are wanting to do I don't think $35.000 dollars will be enough
I would think in the 45 to 55 K range and then add 20% to that for the unknowns
I say that because a decent size pool with landscaping and goodies is in the 50 K range.

I would contact a company who do's Pools and Ponds and have them come and look and they could give you a much better idea on the cost and such

Liner has a 15 to 20 years Guarantee or life span
I have heard of people having them longer then that with out problems
And if you layer it with rock they last even longer, But with rock it is harder to clean and all that.

Ruben

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am more concerned with the water as a well could never supply that amount of water .I know from my well and neighbors who have had wells go dry .Unless you have a very high water table it would never work as the pump would burn out in a day or it would go dry .

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Yes I doubt that a well would be enough Specifically since it is desert they would have to drill way to deep.
And the cost of that would break the budget anyway.

This is a very big project and your main problem will be water supply
And the water quality is very important also depending on what it needs to be treated with just to get it to where fish can live in it.
Also
What kind of fish/animals are you wanting to keep local fish or specialty KOI

Ruben

Reaction score
Sissy and Ruben(Sorry for calling you "Miranda" :) ) thank you very much. Your help is very appreciated.

I am sure about the numbers. I made some real fussy calculations :) . 300,000 Galons look like a lot of water. I Agree with that but this means only 1600 galons of water daily :) . And a 20 gpm pump only needs to work for 1,5 hours a day and only in summer months. Does it still look like a huge amount?

Miranda, i thought, only pumping the water in the lake and let the rest to evaporate would be healthy but i guess draining it is also necessary. But as far as i know from aquariums, if some of water is not drained regularly , nitrogen cycle will be damaged... That's an awful thing for me though. I am already in trouble because of evaporation. I guess i can't lose any more water in the summer. Is it gonna be fine if i drain it only in winters?

Let's not think about my budget right now. Because it can be very flexible if this project becomes possible.

I will create this pond especially for fishing , more than anything else. I plan to have pikes, perchs, catfishes and some coarse fishes in my lake.

There are 2 huge ponds which have much greater water than in my project. I will try to get in touch with them and get information about their water supply hopefully. This should give me an idea...

Reaction score
Guys , i called some engineers from those ponds. He said, for their 4-5 acre pond, they use 12 wells. But fortunately wells are so cheap to dig in my area. With all pumps and electronics , a 300 ft. well will cost about 2-3 thousand dollars which means i can dig up to 5 wells. I am seeking information if my land has good water under the ground...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my well is over 400 ft deep and know because we pulled the hose to get to the pump this past summer as the pump burned out and new pump was defective and if I had to have a new well drilled here it is between 4 and 5 thousand dollars .Remember also that if you dig a lot of wells you may get good water in one and then drill another well you may fracture the shelf where the other well is at and cause the other well to go dry .The meyers pump alone was over 700 dollars .You can have a well dug and it can go dry and never build back up a water supply .If your water table is high you may get well water with toxins in it or bacteria .A well that is not used enough can build up bacteria and have seen it here a cow farmer actually poisoned some of his animals because of bad well water .The health department stepped in because they could not figure out why his animals were dieing and thought some one was poisoning them ,but turned out it was his well

Attachments

• pee house pond 2012 029.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 029.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 253
  • pee house pond 2012 055.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 055.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 222
Reaction score
Sissy , thanks for your answer and photos. The land i am planning to set my lake is about 8 acres. So it is pretty big. My wells don't need to be very close to each other. I want you to look at this picture : http://www.degerlemeuzmanlari.net/haber/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Antepia-Yakut-Mahallesi.jpg

This project is being constructed in my city and you see how huge that project is and they will use wells... What i mean is my project has to be doable. Yeah, maybe i will need a huge budget but it is not impossible. A friend of mine is seeking more information about that. We don't know if my land will have good water.

I don't know what solution i should think of for that bacteria problem. What do you mean by "If your water table is high" ? My wells will be used regularly(They have to :) ) . So i don't think there will be any problems about that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
water table being high means there is water close to the top of the soil

Ask a Question