What Liner Is Right For My Pond?

TBH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
(Im Literally going everywhere in this forum, sorry if you keep seeing my posts :shame:)

So ive seen three different liners, PVC, EPDM, RPE
Rpe being the "strongest" and pvc the "weakest"

I was wondering witch one was right for my pond

Measurments: 3 meters by 2 meters and 2 feet deep
Weather: Winter: 0c - (-25c) Summer: 10c - 30c
Average Uv rays Canada: Summer: 6-8 (sometimes) Winter: 0-3 (sometimes) (these statistics are for all of Canada)
Hopefully I got the uv stuff right lol.
Plants: Might add them
Fish: No
Lights: yes

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree with EPDM. When you buy it, also purchase the felt underliner material that sellers offer. It helps to protect the EPDM from sticks, rocks etc that may have adverse effects.
I would stress to keep far away from PVC. PVC dries out and becomes brittle within months and punctures VERY easy. Don't make the mistake I made in trying to save money by buying PVC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
You won't go wrong with epdm but...... It is expensive and heavy. I just redid my pond with hdrpe and in couldnt be happier. It is very light and it is not as slippery as epdm. I will admit that epdm may be more easy to shape but I didn't have much trouble. I was able to attach it to both my waterfall filter and my skimmer without any problems. With a smaller liner 15 by 15 epdm is perfect but 20x20 or greater it is a beast to move around by yourself. My first pond had pvc, which is junk and brittle like others said, next one I used epdm and worked fine, then went with hdrpe. I basically saved about 140 dollars by using hdrpe.

Also... Folks are right about using underlayment with epdm. It is not required with hdrpe. At least not for me, so I actually saved an extra 100 that way too.

TBH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
You won't go wrong with epdm but...... It is expensive and heavy. I just redid my pond with hdrpe and in couldnt be happier. It is very light and it is not as slippery as epdm. I will admit that epdm may be more easy to shape but I didn't have much trouble. I was able to attach it to both my waterfall filter and my skimmer without any problems. With a smaller liner 15 by 15 epdm is perfect but 20x20 or greater it is a beast to move around by yourself. My first pond had pvc, which is junk and brittle like others said, next one I used epdm and worked fine, then went with hdrpe. I basically saved about 140 dollars by using hdrpe.

Also... Folks are right about using underlayment with epdm. It is not required with hdrpe. At least not for me, so I actually saved an extra 100 that way too.

Intresting.

Im having so many different answers and i dont know what to do :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Intresting.

Im having so many different answers and i dont know what to do :ROFLMAO:
Like I said, you won't go wrong with epdm. I am just giving you another option. I did a bunch of research and took a chance on hdrpe and it happened to work just fine for me. We all agree to stay away from pvc. So since haven't been exposed to the three types then just go with epdm. I

TBH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Like I said, you won't go wrong with epdm. I am just giving you another option. I did a bunch of research and took a chance on hdrpe and it happened to work just fine for me. We all agree to stay away from pvc. So since haven't been exposed to the three types then just go with epdm. I
Alright thanks :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I been building and repairing pond for little over 30 years. EPDM was good in the 80's 90's but it rips easy, last about 5 years exposed, leak petroleum and needed costly underlay... But it was good them... in the 90s Poly Ethylene and Polypropylene became the best and we walked from EPDM 45 mills and a rain of repairs and guaranties. Currently, we use mostly AmericanTilapia 30 mills 40 year liners. These liners are cheaper, stronger and more durable. They never rip, roots don't perforate them and shape to anything. They get calcium build up and with it all micro organism that help stabilize the PH. We get contractor 10% discounts from their website... HDPE, RPE, HDPP and similar do okay but are costly and hard to shape.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Been using Epdm 45 for 20+ years on my ponds. Never had a problem with it tearing or leaking petroleum! Don't think it would be liner of choice for thousands of pond owners otherwise. You trying to sell your product?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Been using Epdm 45 for 20+ years on my ponds. Never had a problem with it tearing or leaking petroleum! Don't think it would be liner of choice for thousands of pond owners otherwise. You trying to sell your product?
Nope, but you sound like you selling EPDM .... LOL ... I glad you did good with them but certainly never seen one EPDM last more than 10 years in the shade in a cold state. in California, Texas Arizona and Nevada they just to last 2-3 years.... EPDM is petroleum rubber sensitive to heat and is not NSF certified nor Fish Safe certified... But everyone has a choice...

Reaction score
Can always look at roofing supply houses that sell roofing rubber at a lower price the official pond liner. Both are made the same .. never had any issues

Ask a Question