Roots or top-growth on tropical lily tuber?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I overwintered tubers from my tropical lilies by coating them in an anti-fungal paste then storing them in damp sphagnum moss in the dark in ziplok bags at about 55 degrees. Upon recent inspection (early April), many of them show new growth, but I don't know if this is root material or top growth, and this affects how I should plant them. Please see the attached photo, and I would appreciate the opinion of any experts out there to identify the nature of the sprouting.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 231

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Per this youtube, it shows the pointed end being the growing tip. With no roots , yet

"SPRING: Late March through early April, plant the tubers in a small pot or tray full of sand with the top of the tuber showing. Be sure to wash off any fungicide you may have used in the fall. Place the pot in warm (65-75o) water with 3" of water above the crown. Place them under a grow light or in a sunny window. The tubers should sprout in a few days. As they grow, repot the plants in larger containers and fertilize them. Then drop them into your pond late May/early June. Be careful- if the water temperature of your pond is lower than the water you used for sprouting, the lilies may go dormant and lose several weeks of growing time."

upload_2016-4-3_16-8-45.png

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I used to keep them in my indoor planted tank. I got the bulbs out of those packs that can be bought at petco.

Ask a Question