tree trunk roots get bigger (obviously)

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I planted an entire forest, since I lived up near Canada most my childhood and found the southern weather to be hot being outside. So the trees (elms, oaks, cherry, virginiana juniper etc,) have done the trick in cooling the backyard and lowering the cooling bills.

one thing I hadn't planned on is the trees getting really big in just 13 years, and the roots have pushed up some of my canals, causing cracks in the concrete.

fortunately, the concrete design is "sandwich" meaning concrete, liner, concrete, so the cracks are just cosmetic

more concerned with aqueeduct (styled after the Roman ones) which are 100% concrete with no liner. So far, no leaks detected. Fortunately, since aqueduct is above-ground, if a leak ever occurred it would be very noticeable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Be aware that riits have a habit of seaking out water I have heard of one or two coming up through a pond before now so this may very well coming back to bight you so to speak .
You have seen already what they can do with concrete and liner you may well have vreated a rod for your ownn back so to say .

rgrds

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In arizona I had some tree roots grow up and over the liner, made a nice little mat hanging into the water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh I remembered in one of your train videos you tripped or something .Made for a good laugh .Tree roots can be very invasive when there are to many trees fighting over water and nutrients

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I think the trunk will eventually grow around it you can see a spot near tree where I tried to patch it. There's be a big crack there by spring; that was the larger crack

my steel barge is weathering nicely

some wildflowers

One of my neighbors is complaining that my canal is causing a mosquito epidemic; another is complaining that the canal is causing a snake infestation (snakes eat frogs and curl up inside stonework etc)

I suspect they may take legal action eventually or at least HOA action; a bunch of whiners (they don't like my beagles barking at squirrels either)

Attachments

• DSC05568.jpg
    DSC05568.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC05570.jpg
    DSC05570.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC05571.jpg
    DSC05571.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 428
  • DSC05573.jpg
    DSC05573.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 330
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's such a pain to have horrid neighbours! I love your railway, my brother wants to build one (I sent you a PM), the bridge looks great, is that walking size or in scale?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That tree trunk next to your canal is going to get lots bigger in pic 2 so you may loose that part .

Ask a Question