Salt or no salt

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a pond now for 3 years and you guys have answered all of my questions so far and it has been very helpful. Here is another question: every time I have my water tested it is perfect. I have never added salt to the water. Should I or not.

Attachments

• 3AA268D5-FEBE-4862-9B13-CB7B2A923553.jpeg
    3AA268D5-FEBE-4862-9B13-CB7B2A923553.jpeg
    460 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My question would be: Why do you think you want to add salt?

If you're not keeping salt water fish, I'm not sure why you would want to do this. YEARS (decades?) ago it used to be *SOP* to add salt to a pond as a 'first line' treatment for general parasite treatment (or other general, not specifically diagnosed problems). Now, it's really not the 'norm'.

So, I guess my answer would be 'NOT'.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Don't mess with a good thing.

Don't just do something, stand there!

Congrats to a lovely pond and waterfall that has been doing so well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had read about the salt in a Pond book I had before I had built my pond. The book had said it was promote better fish health.I disregarded the salt idea and had forgotten about it. Just recently I talked to a Pond owner Who does add salt to the pond. So I started to second-guess myself. So I thought I’d ask you guys opinion. As always thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my questions. I will not be adding any salt to my pond.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very pretty pond. The pond stores around here heavily promoted adding salt to the pond too. After finding this site I realized it wasn't necessary.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Salt CAN be useful if you have a fish that develops certain issues - wounds or infection for example. But then the best approach is a salt bath for the infected individual.

Salt in the pond can negatively impact plant life as well.

Ask a Question