Conversion 30,000 gal Saltwater concrete-with-liner pool to garden pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
We recently purchased a house in Georgia that has a salt water concrete-with-liner pool. Depth goes from 3 ft to 9 ft. There are no leaks currently however the liner is 10 years old. Since I need to empty my water for the conversion, I thought this would be good time to replace or put another liner over the old one. What should I use? The pool is rectangular with a 6 foot concrete deck around the entire pool and was built up from surrounding area.

If I would want to install a wetland bog, could I incorporate it within my pool. I read the thread related to center wetland bog for new pond construction but not sure if I can do this with conversion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome!

Pictures would help with the bog ideas (and I just want to look at this thing!! Never seen a 30,000 gallon concrete pond)

I have no experience with concrete, but I think a normal 45mil liner would do the trick just fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
758DFB1C-C8AC-4C49-B99A-6FEBD26FB1A3.jpeg

Attachments

• 9950BA74-4CC0-4CD2-B629-CF6DBE91810A.jpeg
    9950BA74-4CC0-4CD2-B629-CF6DBE91810A.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 57
  • D228A2F3-B900-452B-B6D6-D8B0ABDD742B.jpeg
    D228A2F3-B900-452B-B6D6-D8B0ABDD742B.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 57
  • E0BCDB76-530C-4CDF-BDAD-981190FF40B8.jpeg
    E0BCDB76-530C-4CDF-BDAD-981190FF40B8.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 57
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pool is 20 x 40’, goes from 3.5 feet to large 9 foot diving area. We are doing lots of repairs on our house, so thought I might do pond conversion with only underwater pump directed throughout pool until I develop a leak. That will give me a learning curve period! At that point would do the permanent pond conversion. However if I could do the wetland bog within the pool or just outside the pool without major construction I would like to do that. We are DIY retirees. Hope the pictures help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome
You could make your back yard an oasis. The nice slope to the shallow end would be ideal to dig in a bog have the bog overflow to a stream that comes down the slops and dumps into the pool/ pond

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1630169062885.gif
@jsam
Gosh I would love to have a pool like that! But if you are done w/it then go for it and if you can find a way to add a bog then do it as you will love it and the less maintenance that comes w/it. Hope you will keep us updated on all the progress you make doing all this. We love pictures and watching others do all the work :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Are you converting this to be strictly for fish and plants? Or are you hoping it can be for recreation/swimming also?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for reading and commenting. Eventually would want a recreational pond, but that conversion would be when the liner needs to be replaced. I like the bog idea by the stairs. Why would I not want to keep the 9 ft depth? Doesn’t that give the fish more safety from birds? All our trees are out side our fence so no shade or coverage. We need to have a cover over the pool from Oct to May (eye sore) and then you wait another month for warm water before you can swim. With a pond I can enjoy all year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I can't wait to see this project in progress! It should be really fun!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only reason to shorten it up a bit is for maintenance vacuuming up leaves and sediment from the bottom. But it is not necessary

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking a your photos a little more it looks like your drainage from the stair side as it goes to the back yard . Will cross where the stream would cross to the pool this could be an issue. A dry riverbed type of drain could allow the water to pass under the stream

Reaction score
Country
United States
AB1174B7-C558-4888-85FD-1D077231AB0D.jpeg

Looking a your photos a little more it looks like your drainage from the stair side as it goes to the back yard . Will cross where the stream would cross to the pool this could be an issue. A dry riverbed type of drain could allow the water to pass under the stream
This is sight of the pool 7-8 months of the year.
You are right about the drainage. Is a dry River bed similar to a French drain? At our previous house (we thought it was going to be our retirement home) we had built a pondless water fall/riverbed. Initially I had intended to do something similar in the back yard, however our large front yard drains towards our house ( and sometimes into the basement) so we have thought to make the pondless reservoir at the base of the incline with a French drain for over flow to around the side of house to drainage ditch at back of the property. Just need to prioritize our outside projects (along with inside projects) based on time, ability and money.. Picture of front yard included. That is also one of the reason we are converting pool to pond initially without major construction, because gives us time to develop and learn best option, get great ideas and figure out what is within our capability. I am looking forward to everyone’s help. As my husband attests; my plans “evolve”....and usually most often after a restless night of sleep.

9 ft deep. Our family are scuba divers....so I can either dive and clean or convince my kids “they would want to do it”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 32

Ask a Question