sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had those , still have them brandnew and because they were just to heavy to get out of the pond and all the stuff would run out bringing them out of the pond . They just put all the stuff back in the pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had those , still have them brandnew and because they were just to heavy to get out of the pond and all the stuff would run out bringing them out of the pond . They just put all the stuff back in the pond
So what did you replace it with?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Small bodies of water are soooo much harder to maintain as far as algae goes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I had issues with algae until I put a bog/wetland filter in. It wasn't that difficult or costly and maintains crystal clear water year round. I'm sure you could get similar results with a very large filter, or several of them, but a bog requires little to no maintenance.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
stock tanks and lava rock in them . They have worked for me . My water is clear and cean with really no work . You can see it on sissys pond on here .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There are as many ways to construct a bog as there are ponds and pond builders - but universally people will say the same thing. They work beautifully with little to no maintenance.

I think in all my years on the forum we had one person tell us his bog failed and when he showed us what he had it was in no way a constructed wetland filter. Not even close.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I've had filters like yours with pads to clean and ditched them and built a bog for my current pond. All the water slowly flows through gravel and plant roots and then returns to the pond. The only chemicals I add are to dechlorinate the water and Mosquito dunks. I never change water or scrub - it's such a low maintenance operation compared to my previous attempts. The older I get the more I enjoy that level of effort.

Bogs can come in any size or shape, in a vessel or in the ground. Here's an article that helped me a lot: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...-filter-eco-filter-wetland-filter.6894/unread . Feel free to ask lots of questions, there's a lot of experience here :)
I was thinking of adding a bog as you mentioned. Unfortunately I have raccoons that would dig up everything.

Ask a Question