Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1590708616252.gif
@bkidder
Can't help ya w/the issues you are having but just wanted to give you a welcome.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome. It’s hard to tell from the picture what is a reflection and what you are describing. When fish get stressed they will often produce an abundance of slim coat. If it’s the whole fish than it could just be the slim coat, but if the patchy spots aren’t sunlight than it is more likely fungus. There are different schools of thought on water changes; some do no changes, some do small changes but most all agree very large changes are bad for the fish and the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
From the picture it looks like a fungal issue. I have no experience with my koi having fungus, but if I did, I'd research malachite green treatments.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome. It’s hard to tell from the picture what is a reflection and what you are describing. When fish get stressed they will often produce an abundance of slim coat. If it’s the whole fish than it could just be the slim coat, but if the patchy spots aren’t sunlight than it is more likely fungus. There are different schools of thought on water changes; some do no changes, some do small changes but most all agree very large changes are bad for the fish and the water.
thanks for the reply it hard to see everything in pics through water but it looks like its most of the fish along with some scale damage its easy enough to put them in the upper pond and treat for fungus. i'll take a good look in the morning to be sure. as far as water changes go i agree 100% water change doesn't sound good not sure why the owner of a pond supply recommended it and went as far as to say he does it with his pond at the shop. he also added it simulates an ice thaw which the koi are used too. being a tropical fish guy and not having a lot of koi knowledge i believed him.but having problems the way i have for the past two years or so it may be time to rethink that. i'd be curious if anyone else does this,

Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks all- I've put both koi in a sick tank and treating with melafix and pimifix for the next four days or so. hopefully that does it thanks for the advise

Ask a Question