Shoveling the barn roof with the dogs

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
WOW- how deep is the snow there? We got 8" and its hard to get around. The dogs weren't letting you get much shoveling done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You got to have at least 6 ft of snow there RobAmy how long did it acctually take you to clear it in the end with the dogs helping :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
That looks far to much like hard work :eek:. Glad we dont get snow like that in England, dogs look happy though :)
The last time I saw snow like that Willo was the winter of 63 where we had drifts up to the beroom windows in Oldham Lancashire any side roads were just abandoned and were three feet deep in snow which lasted for weeks whilst the Authorities fought to keep the majo roads open, infact I can stll remember snow being on the groumd on my Birthday on the 4th of March in 64 we had to wade through thick drifts to get to school back then in shorts , age 11 being your right of passage to long trousers.
Nowadays in the UK we get an inch of snow and everything from the schools to train and air journeys is given up on and cancelled , to tell you the honest truth we are now soft in the UK when it comes to snow I'm telling you :LOL: .
I remember loosing my sledge to the snow after it snowed so hard during my dinner that it had dissapeared under a thck blanket of snow in just a few hours

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
to tell you the honest truth we are now soft in the UK when it comes to snow I'm telling you

Weak! You English are WEAK!

Just kidding - I think it's all what you're used to and also what you and your local authorities have the ability to deal with. My daughter lived in an area that rarely saw more than a scattering of snow, so they didn't have snowplows or salt trucks or even roads built with wide shoulders to handle the snow once it was plowed off the roadways. So what is a small inconvenience for us here is a major event in those areas. We all laugh, but we would be just as ill-prepared for many other kinds of natural events that are taken for granted in other areas of our country.

Reaction score
The last time I saw snow like that Willo was the winter of 63 where we had drifts up to the beroom windows in Oldham Lancashire any side roads were just abandoned and were three feet deep in snow which lasted for weeks whilst the Authorities fought to keep the majo roads open, infact I can stll remember snow being on the groumd on my Birthday on the 4th of March in 64 we had to wade through thick drifts to get to school back then in shorts , age 11 being your right of passage to long trousers.
Nowadays in the UK we get an inch of snow and everything from the schools to train and air journeys is given up on and cancelled , to tell you the honest truth we are now soft in the UK when it comes to snow I'm telling you :LOL: .
I remember loosing my sledge to the snow after it snowed so hard during my dinner that it had dissapeared under a thck blanket of snow in just a few hours

Dave
Well Dave as i was only born in 65 i wont remember those bad winters (y) ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You got to have at least 6 ft of snow there RobAmy how long did it acctually take you to clear it in the end with the dogs helping :happy:

Dave
Yes the Dave the dogs did slow me down a bit but provided a bit of a break too ;) We have the most snow that I can remember in many years.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The British aren't the only ones who can't handle snow anymore, Dave. My parents moved into our rural home in March of '67, and snow still covered the north wall and most of the roof! The winter before we got married, our back road had drifts in excess of 10' high. We had to walk about 3 Km. over the drifts to get home, and could have touched the hydro wires, they were that close! :eek: Snowploughs were getting stuck, and backhoes had to be brought in to clear the mess.
This winter we have about 2' of snow on the ground (the most in several years), and everyone is whining about our "DREADFUL WINTER"! :rolleyes:
John

Ask a Question