Abigail Kate now Barney...............

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
First we had Abigail then we had Kate now its Tropical storm Barney that is lashing at our shores , tonight the West of the UK is being battered by 70-80mph winds :(
These are all Tropical storms one spawned by a hurricane but all carrying huge amounts of rain , which is not good , weve already had flooding in Plymouth today and Barney has in reality only just arrived .
TV reports from the coast shows huge waves beating a path to the beach one after another all are around 12 ft in height , the cliffs at Dawlish may be undermined being sandstone , in Dorset the cliffs may as the excesive rain soaks into already sodden cliffs may then decide then to fall . thus taking away peoples gardens and creaping that much closer to their homes which with each rock fall are in danger of becoming worthless, with the owners unable to sell up and leave.
Or the railway line may be breached again at Dawlish like the last lot of storms to hit us last year .
Theres risk of trees and powerlines coming down , damage to cars and houses plus high sided vehicles are at risk of being blown over .
The Tamar bridge is on high alert and may have to close to vehicles till the wind dies down .
I've added extra rocks to the policarbonate roofing sheets so they dont lift off from the pond and the weather man has said the worst is still to come
A sure fire case of staying at home me thinks !!!!...........

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
First we had Abigail then we had Kate now its Tropical storm Barney that is lashing at our shores , tonight the West of the UK is being battered by 70-80mph winds :(
These are all Tropical storms one spawned by a hurricane but all carrying huge amounts of rain , which is not good , weve already had flooding in Plymouth today and Barney has in reality only just arrived .
TV reports from the coast shows huge waves beating a path to the beach one after another all are around 12 ft in height , the cliffs at Dawlish may be undermined being sandstone , in Dorset the cliffs may as the excesive rain soaks into already sodden cliffs may then decide then to fall . thus taking away peoples gardens and creaping that much closer to their homes which with each rock fall are in danger of becoming worthless, with the owners unable to sell up and leave.
Or the railway line may be breached again at Dawlish like the last lot of storms to hit us last year .
Theres risk of trees and powerlines coming down , damage to cars and houses plus high sided vehicles are at risk of being blown over .
The Tamar bridge is on high alert and may have to close to vehicles till the wind dies down .
I've added extra rocks to the policarbonate roofing sheets so they dont lift off from the pond and the weather man has said the worst is still to come
A sure fire case of staying at home me thinks !!!!...........

Dave

Welcome to what is an annual possibility here on the Gulf Coast of the U.S.A.
I suspect that this type of weather will become more commonplace in the UK as ocean temperatures continue to rise.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You live in a beautiful part of the world, Dave.
I hope you don't suffer too much damage from the storms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
All batterned down and ready for the worst the 80 mph winds that will come howling through Mitch .
And thanx my friend yes we do :)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well the winds seem to have lessend somewhat but the cloud cover this morning is dark, brooding and angry looking to say the very least , we have wall to wall cloud cover to boot, and its my guess that we are in for more of the same today

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dave,

last night was wild, 5,000 homes without power in Shropshire and trees down all over the West Midlands conurbation. But we've woken to blue skies and a gentle breeze. It's just a hiatus, the winds are due to return later.
Stay battened down, there's more to come.
Chris

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave,

last night was wild, 5,000 homes without power in Shropshire and trees down all over the West Midlands conurbation. But we've woken to blue skies and a gentle breeze. It's just a hiatus, the winds are due to return later.
Stay battened down, there's more to come.
Chris
Cor, it's blowing a hooley out there today!! And so much rain that I might have to consider building an ark... :LOL:

We didnt half cop it last night winds topped 80 mph , waves over 12 ft, flooding, over a thousand homes still without power in the South west and didnt it rain.
The skys are getting grey angry and overcaste again :(
Thanx for the heads up Chris , my thoughts exactly Becky an ark may yet be needed :LOL:

Dave

Ask a Question