Sick fish? Help?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Moved into a new home with a backyard pond and a water feature and this is our second spring. We were told they just kind of hibernate at the bottom over the winter with an oxygen bubbler thing and last spring everything looked great, but this year there are a few of the fish that look like this, with cloudy eyes and what looks like tumours. Not sure what to do? Is it a disease that could spread and we should get them out asap? Is it something that can be treated? Lack of oxygen over the winter and they're otherwise fine? So many conflicting things when you're not sure what to search for. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6298.jpg
    IMG_6298.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6300.jpg
    IMG_6300.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Reading other posts, I should maybe also add that two fish seemed to die over the winter, but otherwise, other than three or four that look like this, the rest seem great. One even appears to my untrained eye to be carrying eggs?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Those fish look very far gone. Not sure what it is but if all the other fish look healthy, I would euthanize the couple of sick ones.

What is the white stuff in the first picture? Decaying uneaten food? If so it should be removed and the fish only fed what they can eat in a few minutes. What is your water temp? If not warm enough, 50+ is safe, hold off until water temps. increase. Assuming you have your primary filter running now, not just aeration?

More details about your setup will improve our advice. Pond size, number of fish, filtration, plantings and the results of any water tests.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you! That is food. I threw some in to attract them closer to take the photo.

And like I said, entirely new, so I've never done a water test. Previous owner said it wasn't necessary. Is there anything specific you can advise? Not even sure how to estimate or describe the size. Probably 60 fish... some lillies and grasses... and a filter to the pump to create the waterfalls and an ionizer? Is that what it's called? Like a magnet that goes in the water near the filter/pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Cold water can bring out carp pox lesions, which look like small lumps. If that’s what it is, you probably have virus carriers with symptoms that come and go. My goldfish have been exposed and I have one that usually gets lumps over the winter. We named him Lumpy,, but this year no lumps. I would second checking out the water quality, as that’s a lot of fish. Is it a large pond? It could be that as they’ve grown and multiplied there are now too many for the water volume. Testing with a pond water kit like the API Pond Master test kit will give you a good idea.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Cold water can bring out carp pox lesions, which look like small lumps. If that’s what it is, you probably have virus carriers with symptoms that come and go. My goldfish have been exposed and I have one that usually gets lumps over the winter. We named him Lumpy,, but this year no lumps. I would second checking out the water quality, as that’s a lot of fish. Is it a large pond? It could be that as they’ve grown and multiplied there are now too many for the water volume. Testing with a pond water kit like the API Pond Master test kit will give you a good idea.
So you'd recommend not euthanizing those ones? We're in Canada, so it's still pretty cold. Likely the water is around 50. The sick ones certainly seem to see okay, and eat, as may be obvious as that's how I lured that one over for a photo. I'll go get a test today or tomorrow!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it is carp pox, the others are already exposed and all might (probably do) have it. It is just something that some fish carry and I believe it is unsightly more than it is fatal. Is is something you live with, not die from. It is a herpes virus and tends to be more visible in cold temps when the fish immune system is slowed down.

I am too softhearted to euthanize fish that might survive.

I would wait til it warms up more and see how they are doing.

It is possible these are just old fish that are reaching the end of their life if the majority of others look fine.

If they are clearly declining, post more pics.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The cloudy eyes are a concern - but is more likely a sign of poor water quality than it is fish health. The bumps do appear to be koi pox which is not as concerning.

Ask a Question