Help my goldfish is sick!

Reaction score
I have an outdoor pond with about 4 goldfish and one Koi. :fish: All of my other fish seem to be well with hearty appetites as spring is coming along. However, I have one goldfish who sits by himself barely moving except when to come up to get a gulp of air. Also, he will not eat the fish flakes. I've had him around 5-7 years now and it seems that maybe the winter has been hard on him. I thought maybe fin rot because his fins seem to be short but they're still even in length. I'm not sure what it is...can someone help? Thanks. :icon_sad::icon_sad:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Priscilla
What is your location, water temperature and have you done anything with the water recently? If you can, you might want to consider a salt bath. There are instructions on my website under "Remedies". You might also look under "Diseases".

Reaction score
I'll try to take a picture tomorrow when the sun is out. Nothing has been done to the water....only what winter has done to it. This is an outside pond btw incase I didn't mention so. Your link didn't work. I have no desire to buy a bathtub thanks. ;P :tongue:

Reaction score
When you said salt bath, the word bath linked to bathtubs. It was just making humor of it. =] =] Anywho, I took some pics. Unfortunately, fish aren't the best models so I tried my best. If they're not good enough let me know and I'll attempt it again. Water and the sun and reflection can be bitter enemies of photos. >,< Here they are!

I can't post pics because I don't have 10 posts.. =/

Reaction score
i think that so people don't come on here one time and post naked pics of there fish for everbody to see before the admin takes it down.

for medical reasons you will be allowed to post your fish naked when you get your ten post.

But please put a small cloth over the pectoral fins if it's in the bath tub. it's just to sugestive of a setting. :icon_mrgreen:

Reaction score
Okies, after looking at gorgeous pictures of ponds and commenting on them. (so jealous) Here's my sick baby. The pictures may not be well. If you can't see then let me know and I'll make another attempt tomorrow.

1234640569.jpg

1234640551.jpg

1234640533.jpg

1234640504.jpg

Reaction score
That's what I think it is too! His tail does look rather funky, would that affect his breathing and lack of movement? :/ I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by flashing. Yeah those two red things are berries..forgot to mention that.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The berries threw me off. It is definetly fin rot.
A good strong salt bath will take care of it. The water quality is probably what caused it to begin with. Do a cleaning and water change before putting him back in and it should clear up.
Follow the instructions on the web page for the salt treatment I previously suggested and you will be OK.

Reaction score
Okay so I want to get this right b/c evidently it can be really harmful if NOT done right..sigh.. okies lol "Salt can be used in freshwater systems by adding one teaspoon of salt to each gallon of water every twelve hours for three treatments."
So first I take ALL of my fish out and change the water, correct?
I then begin the 36 hour treatment.
After 36 hours, I put the fish back into the newly salted water.
Is this right? I really don't want to mess up and like kill my fish. >,>

Also, do you guys continuously add salt to your ponds??

Thanks!

Ask a Question