Sick Fish?

Reaction score
We have about a dozen Koi and have had them for years. Lately they have been neglected because we have been out of town quite a bit. Today we noticed one Koi is very thin - it's lost a great deal of weight. Another Koi seems to have a milky film on it. Any ideas on what we should do or what might be the problem? Thanks very much.

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. Sorry your koi aren't feeling well :(
There are several members here that will try to help you, but to give you a heads up, they would like to know as much about your pond as possible. Size, depth, filters, water chemistry, the zone in which you live, etc.
Good Luck........

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As bayea stated the more info you can provide the the easier it is to try and help. Test the water and let us know what the readings are, i suspect water quality as the first issue to address. From the sounds of it I would be testing PH, GH, and KH first, Nitrate and ammonia second. Nitrite, and other possiblities next.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
WelcometotheGroupCup-1.gif
bubbles
Hope we can help ya w/ more info.

Reaction score
Thanks for your interest. Our pond is about 6' x 13' by 18" deep (900 gal?). The water is recirculated through a 50 gallon bacterial filter situated 2 ft behind and 4 feet above the pond. The filter is filled with lava rock and a 2" fiber filter above the lava rock.. The water returns to the pond via a 9 foot wide waterfall. Dropping four feet in to the pond, I believe gives it sufficient aeration. We live in Maryland. Chemistry: Nitrite between zero-.25; pH level between 5 and 6; ammonia - zero; phosphate 10. nitrate - safe; alkalinity is low. hardness 75; Bacteria used is Bacta-Pur.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
your ph is really low way to low for koi I keep mine between 7 and 8

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score