Koi fish not growing, sick or something else

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I purchased these fish from the same place, same time frame all around the same size. The yellow and black koi has only grown a little, the others have more than doubled in size. He seems to act and eat like the others, but has remained tiny. I have noticed no odd behavior, lack of appetite. Is there something I should be looking for in regards to a problem, or just leave him alone, and see if he grows. These are the best photos I good get for comparison.
20180828_175419~2.jpg
20180828_123944~3.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
if it is behaving normally and eating fine, I wouldn’t worry about it. I have koi that have been in my pond for 5-6 years and are a foot long. The largest koi in my pond is one that was born in the pond about 3 years ago it is roughly 18-20” long now. Genetics?, is it quicker to eat.....idk

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
Mainly genetics from what I have read, japanese imports grow very large and fast and domestic breed are slow and sometimes stay fairly small. Habit plays a role but, if some large same conditions I vote genetics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Jhn and @Jack B. Nimble thank you for the replies, was worried as summer is ending, hopefully it's genetics, and he has eaten enough to get though winter when it arrives. Maybe he will just remain smaller than the rest.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what I have read, and from what I can see the fish I believe your talking about that has the black dot on the forehead is generally a domestic breed. the other three look more like traditional Japanese strains thus growth rate could differ greatly. Remember the short kid in school who shot up over the summer ? it may take him a bit longer to get a growth spurt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
I have seen brother and sister Koi and one can be 1/3 the size of it's own sibling at 2 years old. Just thoughts as well the other 3 may be girls and that is the only male which are also smaller.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have the same kind of growth patterns - one of our fish is about 12 inches long; the others are 18-22". All purchased from the same supplier at the same size at the same time - genetics is my guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you all for the replies, I will keep a close watch on him, if I feel like something else could be the problem, I will ask more questions. I can always think about bringing him in for winter, he just seems so little.

Ask a Question