addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lee make sure the silicone is rated for being under water, some is not and it will not work.

Check the label make sure it says ok for water immersion, under water use, constant exposure to water something of that sort

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Most actually say aquarium safe. Clear is the normal one for use in water. I use the type made by GM, It states right on the tube that it is aquarium safe and let cure for 48 hours before adding water.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think all the RTV Silicon formulas use acetic acid as the active ingredient for curing. In time, they all outgas the bad stuff.
Compare the prices, I'll bet all the aquarium safe stuff is more expensive. Regular RTV cures in 24 hours, I wonder if the 48 hour stuff is because they take out some of the active ingredient.
It kind of reminds me of that Sprint Cell phone commercial where the ATT guy says, you pay more to go slower.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I get the GE brand at lowes and it's like $3.50 a caulking gun tube. Almost all cure in 24 hrs. but for some reason it states 48 hours. I do know if sealing larger aquariums, 48 hour cure time is a lot better for the seal in the long run for almost all brands..

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lee, I looked at the MSDS sheet on that product. I would like to see what the directions of use is on it. From what I am reading, personally I would be a little scared of using that product. It may be fine but I don't see anywhere it says aquarium safe, it as anti fungal agents added, and it is some of the warnings really through up red flags in my mind.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lee I copied this from a person in the UK on a aquarium forum. I tried reading most of the entire posting and pretty much everyone says the same thing, GE 100% silicone The product by Dow, or Perfecto aquarium sealent. Both seem available there and I would really recommend not taking chances on something that is that cheap. Not a shortcut I would recommend at all.

Quote from UK poster:" I always feel safer if i use a sealant that is got a little fish on the packaging ie. (aquarium use/safe for fish).
Here in the UK there are two main aquarium sealants, the first is made by Dow Corning and the second is made by there parent company Geocel.
I always stick with these and that way i can't go wrong.
"GE Kitchen and Bath 100% Silicone Sealant." I have done research, read material data sheets (MSDS), called GE Silicones, and finally learned that GE does not recommend any silicone for aquatic use even though their www.gesilicones.com website recommends their RTV108 for aquariums. The consumer version of RTV108 is apparently called "Window and Door 100% silicone Rubber Sealant." Any mildew-resistant kinds are not safe. It is a shame that I have to redo all the work I have done, but it is better than dying fish. At the same time I have read other people's letters where they have even used Silicone II and were OK. Please share your experiences and thoughts on this matter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i agree with Fishin'...i built 3 filters out of one squeeze tube of aquarium sealant. i even used it to seal my filter flushing plumbing on the basement pond. no P.V.C glue.. so i can rework or reuse it if desired. still strong no leaks. i think i got my $4.50 worth out of it.

Ask a Question