sludge removers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What are some people's experiences been with sludge and/or sediment removers? There are a number of types available and I assume that they do some good. some sludge is actually healthy so can you overdo it? Or is vaccuming a safer option.?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I use good old quilt batting. I only use sediment removers / flocculants in my swimming pool They only make the particles larger to be vacuumed anyways. I usually just let my pump push the water through the quilt batting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use Tetra filter pads and clean them on a regular basis, takes care of my sludge very efficiently though its a commitment of time.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Some of the sludge removers from the well-known manufacturers do work over time. What these companies do not tell you is that although the sludge is broken down the resulting released nutrients may result in algae blooms either planktonic or sessile (think string algae). Another prime consideration is that this breakdown is accomplished by bacteria that will consume an enormous amount of Oxygen while doing so. Adequate aeration must be provided.
I would use a vac.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would suggest simply more aeration and water circulation.
Phosphate levels would need to be dealt with separately.

Ask a Question