Small back garden pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi y"all, my pond is in its first summer having been stocked with 2 sticklebacks 2stoney loach and 10 fry from a local park pond of which species I do not know, I'm pleased the lillies have flowered in the 1st year n the wild flowers are attracting many bees, but I've lost the confidence of the fry having been tirelessly trying to net the hundreds of stickleback fry that have since emerged from the 2 that I introduced, has anyone got any tips on how long it will take for the park fry to confidently rise to eat the fish flakes once again ‍♂️The water has cleared finally,
IMG_20210703_151035.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Give them time. They'll get over the fear.

I'm not sure I'd be putting in fish if I didn't know what kind they were, but maybe you will soon be able to tell. Hopefully something small!

Very pretty pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
Welcome to the forum!

Very nice pond
Here in MD. I would be extremely careful of any fry I got out of any farm pond. Snakehead fish has invaded he Chesapeake Bay area and numerous reservoirs and farm ponds. They will eat and kill everything.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Give them time. They'll get over the fear.

I'm not sure I'd be putting in fish if I didn't know what kind they were, but maybe you will soon be able to tell. Hopefully something small!

Very pretty pond!
Thanks, had limited room and didn't want to spend too much, so apart from the liner and solar waterfall pump everything else came free

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here in MD. I would be extremely careful of any fry I got out of any farm pond. Snakehead fish has invaded he Chesapeake Bay area and numerous reservoirs and farm ponds. They will eat and kill everything.
Thanks, in the uk we only have pike and perch in the preditor department, hopefully I've cleared all the sticklebacks out, if not no doubt I'll end up with hundreds again next spring, if that's the case I might introduce a couple of small perch if my new fish have grown big enough not to fit in the perches mouths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, in the uk we only have pike and perch in the preditor department, hopefully I've cleared all the sticklebacks out, if not no doubt I'll end up with hundreds again next spring, if that's the case I might introduce a couple of small perch if my new fish have grown big enough not to fit in the perches mouths
On the other hand, I may scratch the idea of 2 perch, and just have the 1,my luck, I'd have another pond full of fry, perch variety, which admittedly can't be sustained in such a small habitat

Ask a Question