addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Honey wants to put one in here, we have the room I would just need to dig the hole.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
T-mann, I saw one at a Pond store last year that required a sprinkler type hose hook up. It was a little different design and more expensive but if memory serves me right it was designed for better flow control to save on water usage. I want to say it was made by the same company. the lady that was showing it to me is the same person that told me about the one I'm using and if it would work for my situation it would cost far less. She was right on for what I needed. If I can get over there anytime soon I'll look and see if they still have them and write the model # down.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Honey wants to put one in here, we have the room I would just need to dig the hole.

And that would require you turning the key and spending a few hours on your tractor. What the heck are you waiting for get busy girl!!! :razz: :helm2:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Would love to have a water storage tank underground here. Our well doesn't have much volume. Can only run one thing at a time, like one sprinkler or one hose when washing a car, have to turn other things off before you do something else. It's a pain but we are used to it and if we ever move that will be on my top of the list for things to check before buying.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And that would require you turning the key and spending a few hours on your tractor. What the heck are you waiting for get busy girl!!! :razz: :helm2:

well yes and honey would have to decide to buy one before I know what size to build.

Would love to have a water storage tank underground here. Our well doesn't have much volume. Can only run one thing at a time, like one sprinkler or one hose when washing a car, have to turn other things off before you do something else. It's a pain but we are used to it and if we ever move that will be on my top of the list for things to check before buying.

Our well is great, but never want to run it dry is why I am putting in a electric sprinkler timer to fill the pond, might add a float.

Wolfstock did we babble enough to answer your ??

Reaction score
LOL - yeah. Mine's a pretty small application, and it's in a landscaped area so i don't really want to just put in on a timer and let it run over. I'll give the float a shot. Biggest problem I think might be winter - especially a fall early-freeze or spring late-freeze, since I figure I'll probably take it out during the winter.

I've had issues with batter-powered timers as well. Definitely the electronic ones seem to be better than the mechanical ones. The Vigoro one they have at Home Depot actually seems to be a pretty good one. I only use that for the sprinklers though.

Thanks for the all the good info though!

I'm thinking about maybe doing a cistern - problem is I'm in a suburban neighborhood with HOA and all that, and would need to get something that looks nice. They have some good-looking ones at HD, but dang they're expensive - $160!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL - yeah. Mine's a pretty small application, and it's in a landscaped area so i don't really want to just put in on a timer and let it run over. I'll give the float a shot. Biggest problem I think might be winter - especially a fall early-freeze or spring late-freeze, since I figure I'll probably take it out during the winter.

I've had issues with batter-powered timers as well. Definitely the electronic ones seem to be better than the mechanical ones. The Vigoro one they have at Home Depot actually seems to be a pretty good one. I only use that for the sprinklers though.

Thanks for the all the good info though!

I'm thinking about maybe doing a cistern - problem is I'm in a suburban neighborhood with HOA and all that, and would need to get something that looks nice. They have some good-looking ones at HD, but dang they're expensive - $160!

I had two vigoro timers fail now, both around 15 bucks each, both in the trash now. That is why I am done with the battery ones lol. Even my gardens will be watered via the electric timer. Unless we are home no timer will be on if it is battery operated.

I had a float fail in arizona, renters water bill went up 150 dollars they did not notice the wet ground in the desert............. so I paid that extra 150........... That pond float was put on a timer so it ran only for xx amount of time during the day then the timer shut off so the float could not keep running. Now the pond is being taken down, too many issues taking care of it long distance with renters.

Here we just add xx water i.e. 15 minutes or so a day, it fills the pond, does a little water change if the pond does not need the water. The extra water just heads down our hill to the deer eaten corn field.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So addy you are saying if the battery dies in one of those timers when the thing is running water into the pond it will just keep running and running. Oh boy that could mean some big trouble if we were away somewhere for a long time traveling! Wondering if mine works like that? Will have to go read the instructions or call the company. You would think they would have a fail safe and turn everything off automatically.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So addy you are saying if the battery dies in one of those timers when the thing is running water into the pond it will just keep running and running. Oh boy that could mean some big trouble if we were away somewhere for a long time traveling! Wondering if mine works like that? Will have to go read the instructions or call the company. You would think they would have a fail safe and turn everything off automatically.

It was more of a failure of the unit. It said low batteries I put in new ones, still says low batteries. It will not shut, yep it ran for over 6 hours. The timer was bought last year. Then a different one, same brand, vigoro two hose timer did the same thing. Said low battery, but batteries fine, that one ran for 4 hours. So now replacing with a electric fail safe sprinkler box, power goes off it shuts the valve.

Reaction score
addy - was this the unit you used?

I've had one of those for perhaps 3 years now, and it's been OK; just bought another in fact. Whenever the batteries run out, it hasn't gotten "stuck on", but just stuck off - however it may just be coincidence.

I did have a similar Gilmour mechanical one (took about 4 seconds to slowly open when turning on, then slowly open when turning off) that did do that - when the battery would go dead it got stuck open. Then finally it broke for good, in the stuck-open state.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
this one

http://www.google.com/search?q=orbi...gc.r_pw.&fp=27b94fc880cf418c&biw=1280&bih=680

I wanted the 4 stations for the back yard, one for the pond, one for the veg garden two for what ever else. It is made for sprinklers, but I bought the conversion fittings to convert it from the sprinkler control valve to attach a garden hose. Just pvc fittings. We have not run a water line to it, yet, just using the exterior hose bib, got a fitting that will attach the valves to the hose bib. Making a pvc manifold. We can only run one hose at a time and get any real pressure, we can run more but the area that is watered is cut back.

The valves were around 11 the timer was 15 I think, picked it up a lowes. (cheapest one they had lol)

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think Orbit is pretty much bottom-of-the-line of sprinkler stuff. I had an Orbit sprinkler valve (also from Lowes) go bad on me recently; just a simple on/off valve that was pretty much brand new. I think things like Rainbird are better and/or other lesser-known brands. I'm surprised that Lowes carries so much Orbit stuff, since it's pretty crappy; at least in my anecdotal experience, and I thought Lowes was supposed to be a little more higher-end (moreso than HD, at least).

Living in this area unfortunately there's not a lot of good automatic sprinkler system stuff around. I used to live in CA, and there was tons of it there, being that every year we didn't get rain for 7 months straight. When we moved here I was shocked to see that HD didn't even have any automated sprinkler system equipment. At least Lowes has some; albeit very limited. Oh well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know, I am from phoenix, there are no drip systems, good sprinklers stores here in maryland...........they say they don't need them lol

I will look at the site still have the boxes, can take it all back. Thanks for the heads up.

Ask a Question