Small pond, first year! 'To feed or not to feed'

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gordy,
Thanks for clarifying that the important part is the WATER temperature, not the air temp. I meant to clarify that after my first post. I find our pond water is much more stable in temperature than the air temperature. The pond cools slowly in the fall and stays cool and it warms slowly in the spring and stays warm, regardless of the relatively large fluctuations in air temperature that we see at those times of year.

Reaction score
John Huff, I am concerned about the depth of the pond too. I had a little landscaping done at the front of my house last Spring and asked them to install a pond kit that I'd had for quite awhile. It has heavy black material that they doubled to make the bottom and sides of the pond. I'm so sorry I didn't think to ask them to make it deeper. Now, I'm not wanting to disturb my 3 fish by scooping them out next summer, cleaning the liner, digging deeper. I'm afraid I'll harm them. Is that hard to do w/o problems?

My filtration system is a replacement one I ordered from Pondmaster's. The small filter that came with the kit would plug up within hours last summer. The larger one only has to be cleaned once a week. I only turn the filter on now when the days are warm, not wanting to make the water colder than it already is. You can see the filter in the area the fish are gathering.

The large egg-shaped thing on the surface is my deicer. Before I got that, my pond almost went completely iced and I was afraid of ammonia build-up in such a small pond. They like to hide under. It may provide them with a little warmth.

I also set up a large flat rock, supported by two rounder rocks so they could hide under it.

You can see the one plant I put in last summer. Looks like they have been nibbling it this winter.

Finally, I have 3 rock-like solar lights on the bottom of the pond. Don't know if these provide a little warmth, but they are very pretty, reflecting up on my brick house.

Hope I've answered questions above. I am a newbie and not nearly as knowledgeable as you all about what I need to do to maintain my pond and keep my fish healthy. Is there a device that checks ammonia and oxygen levels in the pond?

Reaction score
Sissy, I'm afraid I've not heard of the Hillside Flea Market. I live in central West Virginia, near the capitol of Charleston. We have a big flea market in Milton, WV. And every year, there is an Arts & Crafts Fair near Parkersburg, WV, that has a big flea market before you get to the craft show.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The Hillsville one is only 2 times a year and is the whole town .I am rebuilding my pond and moved my fish and better to do it when they are smaller .These are the 2 tanks I put them in with temporary filters and aerator and I have not moved my 2 ft long koi until the last minute .The tank with the fish .Better to do it now and have happy fish

Attachments

• pond rebuild 049.JPG
    pond rebuild 049.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 349
  • pond rebuild 007.JPG
    pond rebuild 007.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 341
  • pond 2014 tear down 021.JPG
    pond 2014 tear down 021.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 333
  • pond 2014 tear down 022.JPG
    pond 2014 tear down 022.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 271
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome Sue! I think your pond is charming. I think many of us out started out with smaller ponds and as our interest grew....well, so did our ponds:) I don't think it would be too difficult to have some depth added to your pond and keep the same foot print, but obviously you did something right....they've made it through the winter.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the Forum !
It's been so long since I fed my fish I will have to look for the food

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A