Fishwatcher

Fledgling pond and aquatic enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
I love caring for this pond;
at 250 liters/66gallons, I have decided that after i reduce the population, i will install a diffusion air system.

I don't think I will need a filter just yet but I will keep my eyes on the clarity.
I will also have a water sample tested tomorrow.

as much as I would love to build a larger pond right away, I feel like it is my responsibility to have a firm grasp of this 250L pond before i upsize. once I understand the ins and outs and can keep it pristine i will consider a larger pond.

I will post any updates on the pond here :)

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A biofilter is more important than providing supplemental oxygenation. Aeration would be nice but considering that you have only Goldfish it is not really a necessity. First of all the algae growing in the pond supply Oxygen through photosynthesis and then there is the normal gas transfer at the surface of the pond. Additionally, Goldfish require lower Oxygen levels to survive than most other fish including Koi. It is more important to keep the pond water free of Ammonia and Nitrites. Put a filter at the top of your shopping list.
As to fish population, Fish load (total weight of all fish) for any pond is determined by water flow rate and amount of biofiltration not by oxygenation levels (although this is important).

Fishwatcher

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
DONE! plus if i get a filter pump setup i can have the water return to the pond via some feature that may indeed also aerate the water.
however Im not sure what Im supposed to be looking for because I need a filter/pump that is suited to the small size of my system..

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
DONE! plus if i get a filter pump setup i can have the water return to the pond via some feature that may indeed also aerate the water.
however Im not sure what Im supposed to be looking for because I need a filter/pump that is suited to the small size of my system..

A 500 liter per hour pump would be ideal. Any biofilter designated for at least that size (larger doesn't hurt) is fine.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Not familiar with that make filter, so can't offer an opinion. The pump, however, based on the performance chart shown will only produce 240 LPH at One (1) foot head. This would not be sufficient for use an external filter.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What does at 1foot head refer to?

This is the flow rate at this distance above water level. Although this is rated as a 700 LPH pump, at One (1) foot elevation above the pond water level it only provides 240 LPH. This is indicative of this not being a very strong pump.

Fishwatcher

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
So I have purchased a pump/filter.
The pump is for tanks, and I'm aware it says suitable for 150l tanks but it's flow rate is 1000lph and it isn't pumping the water up a foot. I also bought the cream noodles for one section of the filter which contains "bio sponge" I will replace that with the noodles.

It is fully submersible which at first I was concerned about but now I think it will be fine. Especially if the water stays relatively clean.

Finally, it has an air pump included which I have bought an air stone for. So it will bubble air up from the bottom.

I need your thoughts soon incasr I need to return it(y):borg:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 202

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Maybe someone else may jump in, but I have my doubts on using an aquarium tank filter in an outdoor pond. An outdoor pond will accumulate much more debris than an indoor aquarium ever would. This pump/filter may not be designed to handle any appreciable amount of debris an may clog to frequently.

Fishwatcher

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
The pump was too powerful, i traded it for a smaller pump. all they seemed to manage was just disturb the pond. the water has gone muddy and the bubbler doesnt work. i dont care for this pump im actually pretty upset. the pond was clear, i could see almost to the bottom, now, the plants are all disturbed and the root systems are disturbed and the water is cloudy.
Not a happy camper right here...
I will report back in a few hours to let you know what happens to the pita pump.
I really need to learn how to handle this kind of dissapointment. In my head i imagined the fish in a clear pond all natural and clean with a nice pump working away gently instead I get a mechanical nightmare.
the pump Im running now is the same brand but does 400l/h

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The pond is likely cloudy because of sediment being stirred up. This will eventually filter out. You want a pump powerful enough to create a level of circulation in a pond that will minimize any sediment accumulation and adequately move the water to the filter. Otherwise no appreciable improvement in pond health will be realized.

Ask a Question