Snails Snails and even more Snails...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
javascript:poiZoom(.26333,51.13245,map,11);
I have a huge problem with Snails in the tank. I originally purchased 2 Zebra Nerite snails which laid hundreds of eggs that haven't done anything than make my tank look prettier. I purchased some new foliage just before the problem started, which must of been harboring minute snails, within a couple of weeks I was counting 10 or more baby snails in the tank and thought how sweet. Three Months later I am removing at least 15 snails a day, over 70 in the last week or so. I have tried several things like squashing the eggs, but they just break up and still survive. I squashed a minute snail against the glass, but this just made the tank cloudy. The evicted snails have been placed outside in a bowl i set up for tadpoles, but they die very quickly. I don't like killing things, so if you know of a method that rids unwanted snails from the fish tank, then please let me know...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Time to buy an assassin snail.

Thanks Faebinder, I will definitely look into The Assassin Snail this weekend. I recently went to my local Water World and asked if there was something that would keep the snails at bay, but they had very little knowledge, I will be passing this information onto them.

Cheers...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Loaches are a fresh water fish that will eat the snails in your tank .

Loaches are a fresh water fish that will eat the snails in your tank .

Thanks Gordo33, I did look into Roaches but something the assistant said put me off from buying one, but I can't remember what was said. Could be that they eat all the baby fish.

Cheers...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Thanks Gordo33, I did look into Roaches but something the assistant said put me off from buying one, but I can't remember what was said. Could be that they eat all the baby fish.

Cheers...
Don't know about loaches eating baby fish any more than most fish will eat fry. I have had loaches with small tetra without losing any.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Loaches grow big so unless the set up can support them I would not get them.
All Darters on the other hand are small and love snails. Get a rainbow darter.

Ask a Question