Pond snails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I used to have or may still have 5 quite large pond snails but they seem to have disappeared! A rat has been visiting my garden eating the bird feeder scraps, could he have eaten them or do they go down to the bottom of the pond when it get colds? Gutted I was really fond of those snails especially one which must have been the size of a gold ball. Any knowledge required please, Sarah

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi, I used to have or may still have 5 quite large pond snails but they seem to have disappeared! A rat has been visiting my garden eating the bird feeder scraps, could he have eaten them or do they go down to the bottom of the pond when it get colds? Gutted I was really fond of those snails especially one which must have been the size of a gold ball. Any knowledge required please, Sarah
Do you have fish in the pond and what kind?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't know if you have raccoons, but the raccoons in our area love eating large snails. Sometimes I would find the broken bits of their shells where they were smashed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have fish in the pond and what kind?
Hi Jimmy, yes 1 big gold fish and 3 tiny fish caught from a stream about 3 years ago which are black with a white dot behind the top of their heads. They all lived together happily all summer, I just wondered as it is now getting cold in the UK if snails went to the bottom of ponds like fish or whether this damn rat ate them. Sarah

Ask a Question