Snakes in pond

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I recently saw a checkered garter snake in my pond, attacking a frog. When I got close, the snake retreated beneath a paving stone that hangs over the pond. I am not sure how to get rid of it. The pond is enclosed with screen on top and sides with paving stones around the interior. The only place the snake might enter is through a 4"PVC pipe that the electrical cords feed through to the outside. I would appreciate any suggestions. I have koi and have read that snakes eat them. Thank you for any suggestions

Reaction score
Thank you. I had coaxed 6 frogs outside this past couple of weeks, but will try to get them all out. They are pretty fast and jump in the pond sometimes before I can slowly herd them to the door. I think I will also put some bird netting on the pipe that I think the snake is entering into the pond. I appreciate your help.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Garter snakes are usually not much threat for Koi, the seldom try and capture food under water, They do eat frogs lizards and young mice so having it around isn't all that bad. I actually relocate them to the pond area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Checkered Garter snakes are a bit on the small side to tackle a burly fish. Tiddlers, small frogs are more their speed.

If you can't bring yourself to enjoy such an amazing critter which is naturally inclined to be a pond critter, you might try using a water spray to hustle it elsewhere, snakes are very sensitive and don't cope well with such harassment, they are a bit shy

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Great idea Andy! Thanks for sharing that! I have a Water snake I would like to make leave the Pond area and move on. I even know where it like to hide and bask. That might work great, and sure couldn't hurt. He's not big enough right now to do that much damage but it will grow and become a problem later. This would be a great time to get him to move on before he hibernates this fall.

Reaction score
I like having the snakes around because of the frogs, helps to keep them in check. Btw American Bullfrogs will eat ANYTHING they can fit in their mouth and sometimes will die trying to eat something that won't. I worry more about the frogs than snakes :)

Ask a Question