sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I took so many tadpoles and eggs down to the stream down across the road from me I wonder if I populated the stream with koi and goldfish also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, be careful putting koi in local streams. I thought about digging a new farm pond, and draining the old pond into it, but siphoning all the fish out so that I could have my own farm pond full of koi, but then I realized that if I got a lot of rain like this past spring, and the pond overflows into the ditch, which eventually empties into creeks, then larger bodies of water, I could be putting koi where they don't belong, and if I was found out, I could get in trouble, or at least I think I could. I think Koi are non-native species and have to be controlled and not released into public waters. Is that right? But, that being said, wouldn't it be awesome to go out to my farm pond and see colorful fish come swimming up for attention ... and food? Wait, I don't want to have to feed thousands of koi, and my guess is that the market for koi is going to drop drastically in the next 10 years or so, when everyone that wants some has some. :) I may be wrong and hope I am (because eventually I want to have places to sell any excess koi I may get), but seems when something is new and popular, people jump in and try to corner the market, and before long, there are too many and no market for it any longer. Happens with new breeds of dogs, different colors of horses, etc. I've seen it in lots of areas. Hopefully I'm wrong!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yes, please do not ever release goldfish or koi into local ecosystems. In most areas it is illegal, and it can destroy habitat for native species. And as far as excess fish, well I have four turtles...Need I say more? John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I wondered about turtles, too, John. I won't allow any of the baby alligator turtles to stay, as long as I find them that is. But, my painted turtle is welcome to stay, as he doesn't eat fish, or at least not enough to worry about. Plus, he is little, just a newborn this year. I have not seen him for over a month now, but hoping that he has dug himself in either in the bog or nearby, or maybe in the lily plant pots. I will hope to see him again next year. Called him Aris for Aristotle (sp?) Very smart little guy, knew just when I was feeding, just like the fish. :)
And, I wonder why they make such a big deal about the koi and goldfish, since they are carp and carp are native to this area. BUT, is it because they are different, and bred differently? Just because they are pretty is not the reason, I know, but what is the reason they are not considered native? Different variety of carp, I assume ...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My turtles are Red-eared Sliders,with a carapace length of around 8", and they do eat fish, as well as a variety of vegetation. And to answer your question, koi are descendants of the European carp which was also imported to North America in the 1800's as a food fish, and we all know how that turned out! They destroyed the habitat of native species, which largely preferred clear water, by constantly rooting in the substrate for food. And of course, few of us actually EAT carp, so fishing pressure is virtually non-existant, letting them multiply at an alarming rate. The last thing you want to do is add to the already huge population of carp! They are NOT native, any more than the House Sparrow, Starling, and who knows how many of our insects. John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, thanks for the history lesson, John. I had to laugh when you said the house sparrow and starling are not native. I thought, "They aren't?" Shows how much I know. Guess I tend to think anything that has such a huge population must be native. Shows what a mess of the native population we have created by introducing other species into our areas. Or, probably more correctly, that have been introduced into our areas.
On my "flat land" piece of property, with virtually no trees within a minimum of a mile in all directions, except the 6 or so on my 6 acres (I've planted lots more, BTW), I'm happy to have the sparrows come and use my stream for watering purposes. At least I have them! I'm trying to lure some finches here for the winter, but so far only have seen a few as they fly through. No cardinals, blue jays, etc. BUT, that being said, I can tell you that the sparrows do not waste bird seed. They eat every bit of it, whereas cardinals and blue jays sift through it to find what they want, putting more on the ground than what they eat, even if it's 100% sunflower seeds. I'm happy with the sparrows ... for now. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Finches do more seed sifting than any bird I have ever seen, the seed just rains down. Then the doves, sparrows, squirrels pick it up off the ground.

Country if you want to attract finches put in some wild flower gardens. I have one in our outer field, 60x60 ft more or less, once the flowers start to seed the finches feed by the 100's out there, we get huge flocks of the yellow finches. I bought the seed that is rated for birds, butterflies, bees and hummingbirds.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can see some video clips on youtube about the asian carp infestation, and the way its working its way towards the great lakes. and killing indigenous species by destroying their habitats. in fact i think there may be some here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Re The sparrow. i think I read sometime back that the sparrow was brought to the US because Nicholas Pike wanted every bird in Shakespeare's books to be here. I guess now they are saying it's not clear why he brought them other than he was homesick for England. This link says the starling was brought over for the same reason. http://www.tulsaaudubon.org/housesparrow-starlinginfo.htm

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I thought they were brought here to give kids with slingshots some target practice. :cheerful: John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Finches do more seed sifting than any bird I have ever seen, the seed just rains down. Then the doves, sparrows, squirrels pick it up off the ground. Country if you want to attract finches put in some wild flower gardens. I have one in our outer field, 60x60 ft more or less, once the flowers start to seed the finches feed by the 100's out there, we get huge flocks of the yellow finches. I bought the seed that is rated for birds, butterflies, bees and hummingbirds.

Addy, I looked on the seed I got in the bargain box at the end of this year ($1 per box, each seeds a 750 sq ft area) and both of them just say perennial or cottage garden, and the types of seeds, most of which I have no idea what they are, so I have no idea if they will attract birds, etc. Do you know what types of flowers the finch are attracted to that you have noticed? I could then look to see if that flower is included. My plan is to put a 3-5' strip along my back yard line between the yard and the horse pasture, and see how it goes. If it gets full of weeds, I can mow it down. If it is pretty, I'll have it for years to come, and can do it again in another area with whichever one I prefer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
John, my son would tell you at age 9, which his first bb pistol, you could literally watch the bb come out of the end, or so it seemed. It was the type that you cocked it once. No extra "oomph" for the bb, but he did kill a starling. Said the bb went into the ear or that area of the bird, dropped it deader than an doornail. I could not believe it! He still to this day enjoys trying to shoot starlings, and he's 27. They have him figured out, though, so he has to go into stealth mode to get a shot at them. :)

Ask a Question