Soaking water lily rhizomes/tubers in a bleach solution?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! While researching how to overwinter lotuses (out of curiosity) I found this suggestion on a vendor's site about overwintering the tubers by themselves; "Mix one gallon of water with one tablespoon of bleach and soak the new tubers for about an hour." They recommended doing something similar if - during storage - the tuber showed any signs of mold or mildew. Could something similar be done with water lilies? Thanks :)

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hardy water lilies, I overwinter mine in the pond. They stay in their container of substrate.
I sure wish I could do that! Unfortunately my ponds are - and likely always will be, due to financial constraints - above ground tub ponds, so I will need to get more creative in order to overwinter my plants. I am thinking of getting a dormant tuber/rhizome this fall and storing it in my fridge as a test run for next year (when I would actually need to overwinter a cherished water lily or two), and thus I am looking for ways to maximize my chances of success. I suggested to my mom the idea of keeping the water lily in a bucket of water placed inside an unheated closet, with a titanium heater set to the mid to high 30's by an inkbird thermostat, but she's not sure how she feels about that...

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Joshaeus - How big are your ponds? I have 100 gallon stocktanks with lilies that winter over.
As long as the water doesn't freeze solid and the rhizome itself doesn't freeze, hardly lilies should be fine.
My water garden for next year is 20 gallons - 26 inches in diameter and 15 inches deep. I may use a larger one in the future, but I am starting with this smaller one to make sure it goes well before I get something big (I am currently waiting for a dry spell to spray paint the outside of the container...it's been very wet up here lately). My mom gave me the go ahead on the bucket with the titanium heater and temperature controller...I wouldn't be able to keep the plant in its pot, but would that otherwise work? I am near the border of zones 5 and 6, on the coast, and the bucket would be in an unheated closet (vs outside).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you cover the whole tub with heavy clear plastic the water probably won't freeze at all. Drape plastic over the top and onto the ground. Put some heavy rocks on the plastic on the ground to hold it in place. Instant greenhouse.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you cover the whole tub with heavy clear plastic the water probably won't freeze at all. Drape plastic over the top and onto the ground. Put some heavy rocks on the plastic on the ground to hold it in place. Instant greenhouse.
Could you give me a link to the plastic in question?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's just 6 ml plastic that you can find in any Lowe's or Home Depot.

I know a water lily growers in zone 6 who does this with their plants every year. Their tubs are also 20 gallon sized. Tubs stay outdoors in the sun year round.

Be sure your tub is sturdy enough to not crack in the cold and I think it will be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's just 6 ml plastic that you can find in any Lowe's or Home Depot.

I know a water lily growers in zone 6 who does this with their plants every year. Their tubs are also 20 gallon sized. Tubs stay outdoors in the sun year round.

Be sure your tub is sturdy enough to not crack in the cold and I think it will be fine.
I would be very hesitant to keep such a container in zone 5, covered with only 6 mil, outside by itself in the winter. I can almost guarantee it'll freeze to the bottom. You have to figure ponds don't because they're inground and the earth is heating them at near 45-50F. This won't have that benefit. I've had buckets of water with lotus tubers IN MY garage (unheated but near an inside wall) and it froze. You'd have to get below the frost line and cover to be effective.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can only say that I have seen this method work in zone 6. But the tubs we're outside where they could take advantage of some solar heating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can only say that I have seen this method work in zone 6. But the tubs we're outside where they could take advantage of some solar heating.
that ain't much if you have a lot of cloud cover during the day and 5F (or lower) at night. Probably got no colder than 28F in my garage and didn't stop the bucket freezing.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I would be very hesitant to keep such a container in zone 5, covered with only 6 mil, outside by itself in the winter. I can almost guarantee it'll freeze to the bottom. You have to figure ponds don't because they're inground and the earth is heating them at near 45-50F. This won't have that benefit. I've had buckets of water with lotus tubers IN MY garage (unheated but near an inside wall) and it froze. You'd have to get below the frost line and cover to be effective.
I, too, am in zone 5b, and I fully agree! Even a pond will freeze to 18" or so, unless I use a stock tank de-icer periodically.
John

Ask a Question