Some more beginning build questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I have some follow up questions, fun!

1. I really love the concept of the Oase Eco Premium pumps with two inlets. The pump itself can live in my intake bay, and then I can run an intake to the bottom of the pond to make sure gunk doesn't settle down there and then run it to my bog. But maybe I don't need that second inlet on the bottom and can just rely on the intake bay and the bog to filter? I'd just rather set things up at the beginning and have to do less maintenance overall. I've seen some positive mentions of under gravel suction grids. Worth it or with a well functioning bog unnecessary?

2. Stable berm of just dirt? As I've been digging the pond I've been stacking some dirt up on the edges to create a berm to prevent runoff from getting in the pond. I'm tamping it down as I go but it's just not going to be as stable as undisturbed earth. Do I need to use something to stabilize it or once I put the liner over the berm and put rocks in it should hold it in place and keep it stable?

3. Shelf depth? I was thinking of having a shallow first shelf for marginal plants like 5-6 inches below the water line, then go down like 10 inches, and then another 10 inches to the bottom area. Should that work? I see online recommendations for a deeper first shelf sometimes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The size of your pond will help us answer your questions as they are varying depending on the size you plan. but to answer the berm you will want to compact the soils not just place it and build on it. they haven hand tamps but if your take your time and put say 4" of soil down and stomp on it with your feet pack it good then do another 4" so on and so on .

The shelves are one of the how big what area do you have to work with. i myself LOVE when there are 5 to 6" shelves that are like 24 to 36 inches wide where that area goes around the outside of the border stones. it helps to soften the all rock edges and gives a break up of what most make as a rectangle or circle area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks! I think the main pond will end up being about 12 x 9 so it should be feasible to do a shelf like that on the long sides. Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe closer to between 1-2 feet rather than three.

The size of your pond will help us answer your questions as they are varying depending on the size you plan. but to answer the berm you will want to compact the soils not just place it and build on it. they haven hand tamps but if your take your time and put say 4" of soil down and stomp on it with your feet pack it good then do another 4" so on and so on .

The shelves are one of the how big what area do you have to work with. i myself LOVE when there are 5 to 6" shelves that are like 24 to 36 inches wide where that area goes around the outside of the border stones. it helps to soften the all rock edges and gives a break up of what most make as a rectangle or circle area.

Reaction score
You should put the liner under the berm. If it's on top of the berm then plants won't grow because they won't be able to root. As for the shelves don't overdo it. If you have a shallow end that would work for most of your water plants. At the deep end, you can put a shelf near the surface for your marginal plants. Once you have your berm planted, depending on what you plant tey will grow into the waters edge.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do I need to use something to stabilize it or once I put the liner over the berm and put rocks in it should hold it in place and keep it stable?
Our pond is on a steep slope, the upside edge of the pond I made dirt berms to keep run off from getting into the pond. I put the liner over the berm, with rocks, on the liner .
When building I would go out during heavy rain storms to see where the run off would be a issue.

Ask a Question